Away is looking for a Packaging Engineer to join our product development team to support packaging developments. You will be responsible for ensuring that all packaging is of a quality, design & utility to create an exceptional customer experience when they first receive their Away product. This role will be responsible for ensuring packaging is truly exceptional & meets design goals, protects our products & meets cost objectives. Packaging is a product at Away, so the ideal candidate will feel ownership over this product & relentlessly focus on improving & elevating it.
This position is based out of our headquarters in Soho & reports to Packaging Manager in Product Development & Sourcing.
What you will do:
- Working closely with the suppliers & other external partners (e.g. 3rd party lab, consultants) in order to support packaging development.
- Partner with Product Development, Packaging/Product Design, Supply Chain & Quality to support packaging innovation by proposing, developing, & implementing a variety of potential packaging options.
- Ensure construction & design of all packaging achieves design, function & quality criteria within cost & time objectives
- Validate that all technical drawings & package specifications identify all aspects required to define package to manufacturer
- Develop network of domestic & international suppliers & manage interactions with these suppliers
- Implement package tests for all projects
- Support continuous improvement program, including: QC & QA, sustainability, cost to manufacture & optimized size to ship
Who you are
- Bachelor's Degree with 2+ years of experience in packaging development. BS in Packaging Engineering or related technical discipline a plus
- Experience in consumer products or related industry with development experience in packaging. Bonus points for experience developing packaging for e-commerce / online delivery
- Possess a broad knowledge of packaging materials (including but not limited to paper, corrugated, dustbags, plastics), structures for consumer products & methods for construction (e.g., injection/extrusion molding, metal/vacuum/glass forming, assembly, etc)
- Superior problem solving skills with a proven ability to be an extremely flexible team member that can meet deadlines & excel in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Excellent at working with cross-functional teams with competing priorities. Particularly Creative, Operations & Product Development
- Excellent communication skills, to be able to deal effectively with all levels of the organization & suppliers
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the documentation, materials, samples & information
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies for the second consecutive year, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, one of LinkedIns Top Startups, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.
Were building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!