Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
About the Role
CockroachDB provides the backbone of storing data on a global scale. The Site Reliability Engineeris responsible for managingthe infrastructure for our cloud service offering.You willoversee our production system, ensuring that our services span several cloud providers as part of our hosted offering. You will also spend roughly half of your time doing greenfield development work, with an emphasis on tool development & driving automation.
- Manage the infrastructure for cloud services, including running internal production systems & hosting CockroachDB for our external customers.
- Design, write anddeliversoftware & systemsto increase productreliabilityandorganizationalefficiency.
- Develop custom toolsas necessary.
- Keep a complex system running andsolve problemsrelating tomission-criticalservices.
- Design, implement, operate, & troubleshootthe automation & monitoring of production clusters to maximize performance & availability.
- Drivethe companythrough disaster recovery tests, where we manually turn down pieces of CockroachDB to test it's overall resilience to failures.
- Participate in a weekly on-call rotation for our production systems & hosted services.
In your first 30 days,you willtake over the operation of our existing internal & customer-facing production systems. Working with product & engineering,you willassess our production operations & buildoutrunbooks forthe operation ofdifferent systems.We believethat it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company.
After 3 months, you'll befullyintegrated into the team.You willtake full ownership forreliability, automation, & other issues related to CockroachDB's stability.You willidentify new opportunities for automating processes, streamlining delivery, deploying new core functionality, & building great tools.You willhelp make CockroachDB more friendly by bringing your expertise to our database.
- Expertise in analyzing, monitoring, andtroubleshootinglarge-scale distributed systems.
- Experience in software development usingone or more ofthe following Go, C, C++, Python, Java
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures, & production troubleshooting.
- Expertise in working with major cloud providers like AWS, Azure, GCP, etc. & Cloud APIs.
- Debugged & optimized code & to automate routine tasks.
- Working knowledge of web & network protocols & standards (HTTP, TLS, DNS, etc.)
- Previous on-call experience, withasense ofurgency.
You will have the opportunity toreport to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality & innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, & consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology & culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, & search NYC for cannoli's with his wife & kids.
Reporting to Kendra Curtis - Engineering Manager
Kendra has 20+years of experience in all levels of the software stack, from early days writing firmware for wireless networking products at Wi-LAN, to managing teams of developers building Web Applications at Google. Kendra worked on Google's early data centers. She was a member of the Management team responsible for the integration of DoubleClick (DCLK) into Google. She was a Co-founder & CEO of Scout It Out, a listing service for Rehearsal Spaces. Kendra joined Cockroach Labs because she loves building great teams & values work-life balance. Outside of work she enjoys skiing, acting, & walking in the park with her dog, Lady.
- 100%health insurancecoverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave(with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off&flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building adiverse & inclusiveworkforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us email@example.com.