Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Manager, Technical Accounting to join our Accounting team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
In this role you will be a key member & lead a dynamic environment, reporting directly to the Director of Accounting formalizing our accounting technical & research activities. This role will work collaboratively with teams both inside & outside the finance organization, such as our accounting operation team, Actuarial team, FP&A team, & the external auditors.
We are looking to establish a role devoted specifically to technical accounting, you will be the first in this role & we want someone who is a motivated self starter & is excited about solving complex accounting problems with an operational & business mindset. As a manager you will be positioned to work directly with a variety of teams to summarize & document accounting implications & assisting with implementation where applicable]
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- In the first 3 months you will get acclimated to the current structure & key technical areas as we think about them today.
- You will coordinate with our business team on any future planning activities & begin to outline accounting issues that are on the horizon.
- Work on technical memos in service of the PWC SAS 100 review of our initial 10Q filings.
- Day to day you will assist in all documentation & memo writing
- Assist with presentations & white papers on accounting processes & emerging issues
- Work closely with the SEC reporting team & the Statutory reporting team for any research driven initiatives.
Required education & experience
- 5+ years of experience working at a public accounting firm.
- Have experience working on technical work papers & memos related to any of the following;
- M&A transactions
- Equity & Debt issues
- Insurance Statutory Guidance Issues
- Reinsurance Transactions
- Technical Tax GAAP accounting issues
- Excellent communication skills summarizing complex topics to non accounting professionals
Preferred education & experience
- Accounting experience at a Health Insurance Company
- Experience working at a recently public company
- Experience with structuring or diligence teams
- A combination of a Big 4 accounting firm & public/private accounting experience
Execution - you see what needs to be done & you get things across the finish line
Collaboration - You are viewed as a key stakeholder who is easy to work with & has a balance of open minded & assertion.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.