Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for an HR Generalist to join our People team at Cockroach Labs. In this role, you will report to the Manager, People Operations & will evolve processes & support programs that fuel our unique culture. We're looking for someone who can balance the strategic management of vendors with a hands-on approach to all elements of the employee experience. Youll use data & creativity to make recommendations for improving existing processes & advocating for new programs.
- Drive onboarding & offboarding processes in partnership with our People Systems, Workplace Experience & HR Business Partner Teams. Your focus will be on ensuring accurate new hire data, adjudicating background checks, & preparing separation information.
- Administer the employee benefits program, including orientation, open enrollment preparations, audits, ongoing communications.
- Prepare employment sponsorship with immigration counsel in the United States, Canada, & the United Kingdom.
- Maintain our internal HRIS alongside our PEO HRIS with the utmost level of data integrity & confidentiality.
- Collaborate with finance as you supply payroll updates to our domestic & international PEOs.
- Ease processes for Roachers in need of a leave of absence to ensure understanding of benefits available & availability of support resources.
- Manage compliance efforts & stay current on changes to state, federal, & international laws pertaining to employment, benefits, COVID-specific employment operations, & expansion into new employment locations.
- Respond to general questions regarding company policies, systems, & benefits with a sense of urgency.
- Partner with the People Operations Manager to design, implement, & facilitate processes & policies that meet the specific needs of Cockroach Labs.
In your first 30 days, you will review our current programs, systems, & be introduced to our external partners like PEOs & immigration counsel. You will begin running our processes & looking for areas to improve. As you take ownership of these processes, youll identify any gaps in documentation & fill those as part of your onboarding.
By your first 60 days, you will have met with colleagues across the company & started building relationships that help you match recommendations for process updates to our culture. Youll be initiating a light refresh of our employee handbook & partnering heavily with our Workplace Experience team to facilitate our hybrid return to office program.
After 3 months, you will be integrated into the team. You will have taken ownership of your role & started working directly with stakeholders. You will have strong relationships with our external vendors & be the front line of people-support for Roachers.
- 2-4 years of experience in Human Resources or People Operations
- Knowledge of the employment alphabet soup (i.e. EEO, FLSA, FMLA & CFRA, ADA, COBRA)
- Keen attention to detail & the ability to maintain data through process controls & auditing
- Flexibility to adapt to the changing needs of a technology company or other start-up
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written) including the ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate
- A customer experience mentality including organization skills that help you keep up with many clients & vendors
- The ability & willingness to ask questions about different ways we can tackle processes & programs.
Reporting to Lauren Weber, Manager, People Operations
Lauren is a culture vulture. Whether youre talking organizations, foods, or places... she likes to keep up with what's delicious, fun, & interesting. Born & raised in Kentucky, her career has spanned industries (government, nonprofit, education, tech) & locations (Berlin, District of Columbia, San Francisco, New York). Cringeworthy old-school HR stories are what make Lauren passionate about ensuring Roachers are supported & engaged by our people processes & programs.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.