As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What's Vox Creative?
Vox Creative is Vox Medias center of strategic & creative excellence. Were a team of strategists, writers, designers, directors, & makers who tell powerful stories for brands. In a digital landscape consumed by clicks & low calorie content, we help brands go deeper. Using the same insights, tools & storytelling expertise that power our editorial brands, we create memorable, deeply engaging & award-winning content & experiences for our clients. Vox Creative houses a number of specialty teams & services including The Explainer Studio (helping brands demystify the most fascinating & complex topics of our time), Epic Stories (investigative journalism for brands), & IQ (helping brands achieve a net-positive impact on the world).
Vox Creative was awarded Digiday's Content Studio of the Year & Best Content Program awards in 2019.
The world doesnt need more news, it needs explanation. Thats why millions of curious people have flocked to Vox across Netflix, podcasts, and YouTube since 2014. As news & entertainment have become more abundant across platforms, so too have the technologies, products & content produced by brands. Thats why we created The Explainer Studio, Vox Creatives award-winning approach to branded Explainer content, pioneered by Vox.com.
2020 is the most exciting year yet for the Explainer Studio. Weve spent the last two years building a brand beloved by clients & audiences alike, & are ready for the next chapter of creative excellence. Were looking for a curious, seasoned Creative Director with extensive video experience to join the Vox Creative team, specifically overseeing the creative vision for the Explainer Studio. This role will be the creative visionary for what the Explainer Studio will become in 2020 & beyond. This person will be the fuel to the fire of inspiration, transforming brands business objectives into bold, engaging, award-winning content alongside like-minded makers.
What you'll do:
- The primary responsibility of the ES CD is to own & drive the creative vision of the Explainer Studio into 2020 & beyond. Its just over two years old & the world is our oyster. Weve built an incredible strong, recognized brand, & are poised for greatness amidst attentive audiences who seek out our work. Its time to take it to the moon, which translates to a number of actions:
- Innovating new formats.
- Optimizing existing formats.
- Creating always-on marketing opportunities.
- Developing & growing in-house talent team.
- Leveraging our networks insights & creative best practices & translating into branded Explainers.
- Leading the charge for internal comms, hype, rollouts, updates, & big picture vision amidst various Vox Media teams.
- Partner with the Executive Producer of the Explainer Studio & ECD to architect long-term solutions for growing the studios pipeline, expanding offerings, & perfecting formats.
- Partner with Creative Strategists to develop boundary-pushing Explainer Studio ideas in the pitch phase; post sale, evolve their strategies into actionable creative concepts that blow minds.
- Be an accessible fount of creative genius for Sales & New Business teams for any & all Explainer Studio expertise, quality control, best practices, & proactive ideas by category & opportunity.
- Creatively guide junior team members on concepting, scripting, art direction, & execution of all work that comes out of the Explainer Studio.
- Oversee & guide the development from treatments to scripts to final cuts to distribution; maintain accountability for the success of all ES projects & campaigns.
- Build lasting relationships with our editorial network leaders
- Work closely with production & accounts team to ensure cohesion & quality across all elements of the campaign
- Partner with clients throughout the production process to maintain balance between the campaigns KPI & Vox Creatives creative vision & best practices
- Work closely with ECD to continuously bring new ideas to the table; experimentation, iteration, & perfection are your three favorite words, or are at least three of your top words in addition to your real favorite ones.
What you'll bring:
- Have 6-10 years experience in media (with an editorial/journalism/documentary background), advertising, or at a creative agency. Or, alternately, you have a totally insane past designing time machines or herding sheep & it has made you into a multifaceted powerhouse creative.
- Have seasoned experience developing top-tier creative pitches for major brands, inclusive of creative approach, inclusive of concepts, strategic approaches, that win business
- Are proud to show your comprehensive understanding of & active interest in the world of branded content, publishing, marketing & advertising
- Are able to tell unexpected stories in thoughtful, unique ways across multiple platforms that get people excited & engaged
- Can find unique ways to make the commonplace magical, identify questions that get to the heart of an issue, & love rooting through research to find the truffle of insight.
- Know far more than a thing or two about production, specifically video (anything from :15 - 5:00), photography & experiential (a plus)
- Hold extensive experience working with others of varied creative disciplines: Creative producers, Creative Directors, Copywriters, Strategists, Designers, Editors, & Animators
- Thrive in a very fun, inclusive, balanced but incredibly fast-paced environment, juggling multiple, diverse projects on overlapping deadlines concurrently
- Fancy yourself a great leader, & even have such desirable traits including a wicked sense of humor, unparalleled self-motivation, & bottomless drive to create work that people want to watch, read, or listen to
- Carry a very strong interest in Vox Medias extensive editorial network family
- Might often be described as curious, quirky, passionate, & ambitious
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.