Here at Appian, were passionate about automation, speed, & efficiency; & the CIO department is a great place to apply these values! From Information Security, Business Technology, to Solution Engineering, joining Appian will provide you with the opportunity to lead technical strategy, execution & communication for all applications to support Appian employees, customers, & partners across the world. Join us, as we work collaboratively to grow Appian.
As a Cloud Security Engineer (CSE) your role will be to identify areas of threat to existing systems, develop remediations to meet those needs & offer ways to integrate those solutions within our organization as a whole. The ability to design, build, run, & continuously improve these security solutions will be part of your day-to-day functions. This role will be heavily focused on evaluating technology controls internally against industry best practices & compliance security requirements & developing a plan of action to remediate any gaps.
This role is based at Appians Headquarters in McLean, VA, however we are open to supporting both local or remote for the right candidate.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Support the implementation of the strategic vision for Technical Compliance that is aligned with company vision.
- Build & support Cloud Services & Cloud Infrastructure.
- Strong & proven track record of a focus on quality & automation.
- Work with Compliance teams to translate regulatory requirements into engineering solutions & drive alignment on compliance requirements.
- Develop engineering guidelines based on industry best practices & regulatory requirements.
- Proactively identify gaps or conflicts in existing processes & drive remediation of security & efficiency deficiencies identified during the analysis process.
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze failures & prevent recurrence.
- Support the implementation of the strategic vision for Technical Compliance that aligns with the company's direction.
- Build strong relationships with business partners & facilitate continuous improvement aligned with operational processes.
- Provide service support by participating in regular on-call shifts responding to service issues
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent industry experience.
- History of supporting Cloud/IT infrastructure in a cloud environment, & a fundamental understanding of security controls that should be in place.
- Strong knowledge of Public Cloud Service Providers (AWS, Google, Azure), specifically the types of services offered & industry standard internal controls & best practices for configuring & managing these services (AWS preferred).
- Strong Linux OS Skills across multiple distros.
- Experience interviewing subject matter experts & using knowledge to develop, edit, & revise documentation including standard operating procedures, system security plans, & policies & procedures.
- Experience interacting with process owners, testing & documenting solutions, handling inquiries from stakeholders & security/compliance teams.
- Proven experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, Python, Git, Terraform, & their uses in cloud automation in Infrastructure as Code.
- Operational experience with networking & an understanding of secure networking principles.
- Experience operating, troubleshooting, & scaling online services
- Track record of automating tasks to remove human involvement & to be self-healing.
Preferred skills include:
- Experience reviewing infrastructure & application designs for security implications, security scans & remediating vulnerabilities.
- Ownership of items designed & implemented will take the form of on-going development & include after hours support. These items could include support of access controls, monitoring of infrastructure security, & on-going remediation for compliance of tools & processes implemented.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment; ability to work well under tight deadlines & effectively interact with a wide range of personnel
Some of the tools & resources we will equip you with include:
- We value innovation & investment in our people by providing opportunities for growth & leadership. Whether its through Engineering IndieTime (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want), or annual hackathons, we value activities that inspire others & get creative juices flowing.
- Appian has a large engineering team where you are made to feel autonomous by our engineering business group model. Working within an agile team allows our engineers & leaders to have a sense of community & accomplishment.
- Well immerse you into our community rooted in respect starting on day one. Our community is strong & growing! Our affinity groups are a great place to start connecting with peers from all across the globe.
Appian helps organizations build apps & workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, & data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources & improve business results. Many of the worlds largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, & simplify global risk management & compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers & throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth & opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate & our employees are to thank for Appians success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .