SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER - AVIONICS & PCBAS (STARLINK)
Starlink demands a new type of supply chain. We require our suppliers to provide premium quality with rapidly evolving designs at commercial scale volumes. We are actively looking for candidates who possess comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing & quality tools & have unrelenting motivation to enable suppliers for success. This position requires a combination of proven leadership & technical capabilities.
This is a technical position that requires practical experience in the area of specialty with the materials, processes & parts used in printed circuit boards (PCBs). The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of these products with the desire & capability to take on new challenges in unfamiliar areas to help enable our mission to Mars.
- Collaborate with design engineers to gain an in-depth knowledge piece part, assembly, and/or sub-system design intent
- Support procurement team to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies by reviewing & assessing supplier manufacturing processes & quality systems
- Implement & monitor production part approval process (PPAP) with selected suppliers to enable rate production
- Assure supplier understanding of product & submission requirements
- Develop & approve process controls to control critical characteristics
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk & potential defect opportunities
- Create & define supplier technical requirements & flow downs to meet hardware manufacturing needs
- Analyze supplier quality & delivery metrics to identify trends & pinpoint systemic performance gaps & root causes to drive supplier improvement plans
- Provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods & technologies
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing & suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues & to provide technical support
- Drive supplier corrective actions associated with any escapes or containments identified in SpaceX production or the SpaceX supply chain
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, & courage
- Drive for results & customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with teams, lead projects, & continuously drive improvement in the supply base
- Bachelors degree in a related engineering discipline from an ABET accredited university
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in material science & engineering or electrical engineering
- Masters degree in engineering or business
- 2+ years work experience in PCBA manufacturing or other electronics manufacturing
- Experience with high volume manufacturing
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc.)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques & methods, e.g., design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience with Quality Systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100/NADCAP)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Proficient in MS Office applications & report writing
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information & influencing others across organizational lines, internally & externally
- Strong written & verbal communication skills, ability to make presentations to suppliers, team members & management
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Position requires long hours & some nights & weekends when required
- Ability to travel: Up to 25-60% work week travel is required, valid drivers license mandatory
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.