BuzzFeeds Core Infrastructure Group is looking for someone taking their first steps into infrastructure software engineering, where they would be learning to help build the systems that power our sites & products. Our groups mission is to make it enjoyable, painless & safe for developers to build & manage their applications at BuzzFeed. We do this through building tools informed by best practices - which combine to create an instrumented, secure, & resilient platform.
In 2016 we built rig, a PaaS powered by Docker & AWS ECS. Since then we have continued to iterate & add to the platform. Rig now powers all of BuzzFeeds sites & products, with over 500 microservices running on it with each one supported by the team responsible. Across the platform weve had around 150,000 deploys in the 3 years since launch.
Then, in 2017, we created a single sign on identity aware proxy buzzfeed/sso which we open sourced in 2018. This has seen wide adoption by the community, in terms of contributions to our GitHub repo as well as the feedback weve received from others who rely on it.
Among our more recent initiatives are a storage library, which has added zero-config provisioning of datastores for developers, & the introduction of automated, continuous deployment to production, both of which are further eliminating friction from the development process.
Were looking for an engineer who is excited to learn how tools can shape company culture, & who wants to help improve the platform that underpins BuzzFeed.
What you'll do:
- In your first week you will be guided through fixing a bug in one of our services & deploying the change to production
- In your first month you will learn how to build & provision our infrastructure
- In your first three months you will work with your team to deliver meaningful improvements to our infrastructure
- In your first six months you will facilitate a blameless retrospective
- Be paired with more senior engineers who will sponsor your growth as an engineer
- Learn how to build & maintain core infrastructure, including the platform that all other products & services depend on
- Collaborate with domain experts across the company, including engineers building user-facing products, data scientists training novel machine learning models, & investigative journalists publishing original reports.
- Work with a mix of proven & cutting edge technologies in a distributed ecosystem
- Participate in collaborative code & architecture reviews
- Identify patterns where we can create standardized tooling to replace previous manual or adhoc solutions.
- Participate in a support rotation to help keep the tech org running smoothly, while looking for ways to increase system resiliency & to automate away your own support tasks.
Who you are:
- You have an interest in learning about & working on the underlying infrastructure that powers all the services of a digital media company
- You have a curious nature & like to question why things are the way they are.
- You make time to review others' designs & code because you see it as an opportunity to learn
- You take pride in discovering simple & elegant solutions to complex problems
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, & operational simplicity
- You care about the developer experience
- You think of systems as modular & composable services
- You are constantly learning & re-evaluating previous assumptions
- You are familiar with the foundational tools of modern development such as relational databases & REST.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, engineering workshops, Employee Resource Groups, hack weeks, & more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary, equity & and either pension contribution matching (UK) or 401K matching (US)
- An opportunity to assist journalists on stories through our Tech + News working group
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, team outings & much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, & birthday treats
- Additional PTO for participating in after hours support rotations