Who are we?
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money abroad. Weve taken something complicated & made it simple. Tap the WorldRemit App or click on our website & your international transfer is made to a bank account, cash pickup, Mobile Money, or airtime top-up. Founded in 2010, we send international remittances from 50 countries to more than 150 countries & we continue to expand our footprint.
Using WorldRemit is easy because we do the hard bit, connecting hundreds of banks, money agents, mobile operators & payment systems around the world. These were never designed to work together, but WorldRemit makes it happen.
WorldRemit has grown on average by 50% year on year & is now processing over 3bn of remittances on an annualised basis. We have raised c.$370 million in funding, currently employ over 800 employees & have offices in London, USA, Philippines, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong & other locations
The journey is just beginning. We believe in faster, simpler, more accessible money transfers. That means building better products & services for our customers.
Changing the world isnt easy so we only hire the most talented people. You need to think differently, believe in new solutions to old problems, & have the drive to make them happen. We aim to attract, retain & develop people that can bring to life our values:
You can learn more about our culture & how we work by watching this video on our Careers page
About the Role
The Middle East & Africa (MEA) Compliance Officer will be the dedicated senior Compliance resource for WorldRemit across the region. The role will be based in WorldRemits Johannesburg office from where they will oversee all aspects of compliance for the Middle East & Africa, including anti-money laundering controls, customer due diligence & suspicious activity reporting.
The MEA Compliance officer will also take the lead for engagement with all regulatory bodies, central banks & financial intelligent units across the MEA region, including all regulatory examinations & audits. This will entail providing proactive & ongoing engagement to support both existing markets & expansion into new markets, together with supporting the development of new products & commercial opportunities in the region.
The MEA Compliance Officer will report functionally into the Chief Compliance & Risk Officer for WorldRemit, & regionally into the Managing Director: Middle East & Africa.
- Oversee all aspects of regional compliance, anti-money laundering controls, due diligence & suspicious activity monitoring for the Middle East & Africa, including those activities performed by the central Compliance team in London
- Ensure compliance with all local country / jurisdictional laws & regulations, including all requirements for regulatory reporting & on-site examinations
- Directly manage all local Compliance resource in the region, currently the South Africa AML Compliance Officer
- Facilitate the application & maintenance of local licenses through active management of all regulatory relationships across the region
- Directly support new country launches across MEA & management of local Compliance resources where required
- Influence the design of individual product initiatives to ensure they operate within the regulatory requirements of the region without compromising their commercial effectiveness
- Embed a strong culture of anti-money laundering & regulatory compliance & controls across the MEA region
- Operate as part of the senior leadership of the Global Compliance function for WorldRemit, bringing best practices from the Middle East & Africa to share with global colleagues
Summary of required experience & attributes
- Deep understanding of regulatory compliance requirements in individual locations across the Middle East & Africa
- Significant knowledge of industry regulations & best practice in anti-money laundering programmes & due diligence procedures
- Extensive experience of representing organisations with national regulators, central banks & governmental bodies, directly engaging with & managing senior stakeholder relationships through both supervisory meetings & on-site examinations
- Experience of preparing & managing the process for regulatory licence applications, from initial application through to successful granting of licence
- Proven ability to partner on both a cross-functional & cross-geographical basis with other departments in WorldRemit to support growth in the region, to include Product, Commercial, Marketing & Technology
- Understanding of how to apply horizon scanning on a cross-jurisdictional basis to identify, respond to & influence future regulatory policy developments that may impact an organisation
- Knowledge of process improvement techniques to develop & refine compliance processes for improved efficiency & effectiveness
- Strong people manager with experience of managing dispersed team members on a remote basis