BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed is hiring a Director, Ethics & Compliance to help develop the Companys ethics, compliance, & enterprise risk management (ERM) programs & to be a central player in carrying out its corporate governance strategy. The Director, Ethics & Compliance will advise various departments & interact broadly within the organization, but will have especially heavy dealings with finance, IT, HR, legal, audit (both internal & external), & senior management. We are looking for a leader to (1) manage large & complex risk, compliance & governance projects, (2) develop policies & processes to bring greater transparency & efficiency to the Companys business units, (3) help design, advise on & implement internal controls, & (4) sift large data sets to monitor trends & detect potentially fraudulent activity.
The Director, Ethics & Compliance will play a key role in the Companys efforts to improve its overall governance. You must have strong statistical, analytical, organizational & project management skills. You will be called upon to lead across departments & disciplines, & so your ability to influence people & teams is critically important. Your responsibilities will broadly include:
- Performing ongoing risk assessments & assisting in the ERM process
- Creating risk registries & other similar tracking documents
- Reviewing internal controls & guiding management on leading practice
- Advising on the design & implementation of internal controls & related compliance efforts
- Documenting the current state of the control environment, identifying gaps, & recommending remediation - including establishing accountability & ownership
- Mapping risks, policies & controls in accordance with established risk frameworks (e.g., COSO)
- Developing risk management strategies & coordinating with the business to lead the risk culture
- Helping in the review & adoption of software & other technology tools, including those used to carry out third party due diligence, gifts & entertainment tracking, review of conflicts of interest, & GRC platforms
- Reporting on risk & compliance projects, including building dashboards & other visual at a glance accountability metrics
- Debriefing c-suite executives on relevant initiatives as necessary
- Preparing materials for board meetings & other presentations
- Carrying out any other tasks that may be assigned by your manager
You will be based in New York City & report to the Vice President & Associate General Counsel.
- You have strong judgment & professional skepticism, particularly in the substantive areas of responsibility outlined above
- You enjoy working collaboratively with others & inspiring them to work towards a common objective
- You relish tackling a complex project with multiple work streams, dependencies, & accountable persons, & are comfortable managing the relevant groups & subgroups to keep them on schedule & progressing forward
- You always are looking for and/or are willing to consider a creative solution
- You have executive presence
- You are organized & sweat the details
- You take pride in your writing & presenting things clearly (including visually, where appropriate, through decks, charts, or other summaries)
- You are driven by data & strive to be informed by it in your decision-making
- You comprehensively document your findings, & consider it important to accurately reflect current processes & controls (as well as the desired future state)
- You are cool under pressure
- You have unimpeachable integrity & the courage to express your point of view
- You possess a sense of humor & dont take yourself too seriously
- You carry yourself with humility, grace & professionalism
- You are fun, upbeat & have a glass-half-full view of the world
- 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
- Degree in finance, accounting, business, mathematics, statistics, engineering, economics, computer science, or other discipline requiring a high level of data analysis skills & financial/accounting literacy
- Advanced degree and/or credential preferred (MBA, CPA, CFE)
- At least 8-years experience at a top accounting or consulting firm, or comparable experience in a corporate setting (finance, internal audit, forensics, accounting, compliance, risk management)
- A superior degree of proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, & other tools to manage large data sets (including the writing of scripts, formulas, & code, & the use of pivot tables)
- Willingness & ability to travel as necessary, including internationally
- Knowledge of and/or exposure to digital media & publishing a plus
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.