SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
APPRENTICE INSTRUMENTATION & CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN
The Data & Control Systems Technician will support the build-up & maintenance of our data & control systems. These systems consist of varying data acquisition & control hardware, wiring & interface harnesses, & a wide variety of instrumentation. The goal of the Data & Control Systems group is to meet a variety of test requirements to achieve safe, economical, & reliable access to space.
- Perform complex technical assignments involving instrumentation & data acquisition/processing systems
- Maintain, calibrate, configure, monitor, test, troubleshoot, install, & repair instrumentation, process controls, data acquisition systems, & electrical systems
- Investigate, diagnose, correct, & document instrumentation or system malfunctions
- Analyze results of calibrations & processed data & assist in the interpretation of test data
- Adjust, repair, or replace faulty components of test setups & equipment
- Lay out, build, test, troubleshoot, repair, & modify developmental & production electrical & electronic units, assemblies, components, parts, equipment, & systems
- Configure the data acquisition hardware
- Perform wire terminations to a variety of instruments & verify sensor health: pressure transducers, thermocouples, valves, limits & flow meters
- Install connectors, connector pins, terminals & lugs
- Perform continuity checks, locate & correct wiring errors using measuring instruments such as ohmmeters & sequential continuity checkers
- Adjust, calibrate, align, & modify circuitry & components & record effects on unit performance
- Read & interpret planning documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, drawings, manuals, blueprints & engineering sketches
- Perform lay out & wiring of electrical panels
- Collaborate with design engineers to troubleshoot failures & issues derived from test data
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient & effective work environment
- Associate degree in instrumentation, control technology, electrical systems, or other electrical field
- Experience working with instrumentation such as: pressure transducers, thermocouples, valves, flow meters, multimeters or oscilloscopes (experience from school counts)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working with any of the following instrumentation: resistance temperature devices (RTDs), silicon diode temperature devices, strain gauges, load cells, displacement transducers, pressure transducers, thermocouple, & flow meters (turbine, coriolis, & ultrasonic)
- Basic knowledge of Wheatstone bridge theory, ability to apply ohms law, & an understanding of DC electronics
- Operational knowledge of an oscilloscope & multi-meter, soldering wires & connectors, operation of various crimping tools, wire stripping, continuity testing, pinning out a military type connector, routing & tie wrapping cables, drilling & tapping holes, & building junction boxes
- System level trouble-shooting skills & the ability to logically solve instrumentation system problems & determine corrective action
- Experience with Variable Frequency Drives & motor starters & knowledge in troubleshooting
- Knowledge in signal conditioning concepts for various types of sensors, to include the following: thermocouple Types K, S, & E; TC bonding concepts: resistance weld on & adhesive bond on types; TC probes through thermowell sheaths; cold junction compensation concepts
- Background should include experience with the following devices: DC power supplies, DC-DC convertors, UPS installations, heat shrink tubing, cable harnessing, lacing, & proper strain relief concepts
- Working knowledge of transducers, operational amplifiers, & the knowledge of measurement techniques for temperature, pressure, flow, displacement, vibration & the application strain gauges are also highly desired. Ability to identify required data, data acquisition plans & test parameters, setting up equipment to conform to these specifications
- Working knowledge multiple bus architectures (PCI/PCIe, PXI/PXIe, GPIB, Serial, USB, etc.) & data communication technologies
- Demonstrated capabilities in the development of comprehensive project plans that include all tasks; stage/gate milestones, & reviews necessary to successfully develop & implement solutions
- Intermediate skill level using Windows Operating Systems
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote)
- Knowledge in data acquisition concepts, hardware, & interfacing (SCXI & PXI based)
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters & physical dexterity is required
- Ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position, up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings & climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, & noise
- Schedule varies depending on site operational needs; some travel required
- Valid drivers license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Instrumentation & Control Systems Technician/Level 1: $21.00/hour
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.