Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Product Design Team
Were a tight-knit, collaborative, & highly iterative group. Youll work closely with designers & product managers to launch & evolve product features. Youll partner with User Research to gain insights from user feedback. Youll work closely with Product Marketing to craft & deliver communications through the right channels at the best times. Youll also sync regularly with other writers at Thumbtack to maintain a cohesive voice across all communications.
About the Role
Were looking for a seasoned writer who has the analytical & problem-solving skills to work through complicated UI experiences on both mobile & web. As a content designer, youll be expected to create clear, consistent messaging while passionately advocating for the needs of the user. Youll help drive product positioning & communication strategy alongside your design, product & marketing partners, & create delightful, intuitive product experiences that leverage your expertise in UX design & content strategy.
As a content designer at Thumbtack, you will:
- Design, write, edit, test & improve content across multiple touch points, including product flows, navigational elements, product names, emails, tutorials & notifications
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams with designers, data analysts, researchers, engineers, product managers & marketing team members
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills & the ability to influence product decisions, team direction & strategy
- Give & solicit feedback from UX design peers & contribute to the team through mentoring or onboarding
- Ensure a consistent voice & tone across Thumbtack product content, marketing channels & customer support
- Develop content frameworks & product narratives that explain your recommendations & help partners understand the practice of content designing
- Independently & proactively identify opportunities for impactful A/B copy tests & participate in user interviews
- 5+ years of professional writing experience
- 2+ years of experience in UX writing or content design
- Excellent writing & editing skills
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with design, brand, marketing, research & product partners
- Ability to articulate your rationale clearly
- Ability to work independently, juggle multiple work streams, & deliver copy on tight timelines
- Portfolio of writing samples
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.