View All Jobs
We know, we know, DevOps is a culture & not a title, but it caught your eye didnt it? Now lets talk about what we mean & why DevOps is more catchy than Senior Developer Experience & Platform Technology Engineer, which in essence is who you would be. In this role you would evangelize & implement the processes & tools necessary for us to fully embrace the philosophies of DevOps, thereby helping to guide the cultural development of Engineering at Updater.DevOps, as Mike Kail says, Is a culture & a methodology that strives for continuous improvement & collaboration across teams & functional groups. That approach is at the core of this role & envelops two of our core Engineering values, Open-mindedness & Hyper Collaboration.
At Updater, we believe that the developers' time is best spent developing, not on setup & deployment. We use a wide variety of tools such as Terraform, Helm & Kustomize, & CircleCi to automate as much as possible. Our infrastructure is primarily hosted on AWS which allows us to focus on building great applications, & were excited about completing the transition to being fully in the cloud. We rely on a number of open source projects & contribute to them whenever possible.
We're looking for someone that can not only maintain our existing processes, but take them to the next level. Some of the projects we have planned: embracing the move to our nascent Kubernetes cluster, implementing a service mesh, using the service catalog/open service broker API through GitOps, building a system to enable feature branch deployments as well as metric-analysis driven canary deployments, & evaluating new tools & services. You'll be instrumental in their development & release the solutions as open source projects when appropriate.
About the Role
- Own & act as a thought leader for technical/functional components of the software development lifecycle
- Research & build out proofs of concepts for emerging industry trends to build knowledge & understanding of how they might be best leveraged here at Updater
- Drive feature improvement in DevOps systems, tooling, & processes to streamline our release process
- Partner with our Data team to build a system that enables proactive mitigation of incidents using anomaly detection of key business & technical metrics
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from other engineers point of view in order to anticipate their needs
- Humility: you have an opinion, but are also open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Strong Communication: youre as comfortable talking with a Customer Experience Associate as you are with a Director of Engineering
- Comfort with Ambiguity: youre used to being presented with unclear requests & asking the right questions to get clarity on whats actually needed
- 3+ years experience in software development, 1+ year experience focused on DevOps in an AWS environment; consistent record of delivering impactful outcomes for a larger engineering team
- Deployed & managed production Kubernetes clusters on EKS, including version upgrades, using GitOps
- Used multiple versions of Terraform to manage infrastructure through code
Bonus Points For
- Experience implementing canary deployments driven by analysis of key metrics
- Experience developing Kubernetes operators and/or Terraform providers
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV & internet, & much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily & relocation companies) rely on Updaters real estate products to save clients hours with a branded & personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $200 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors), & more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest-rated tech company on the list, & ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.