Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. Our clients include everyone from many of the Fortune 500 companies, to government agencies, to small- & medium-sized businesses. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education
We are looking for an experienced Global Controller to join our global team. This position is an integral part of the Accounting team, reporting to the SVP, Finance & has responsibility for managing a team of 25+. Youll work closely with all parts of General Assembly & be the leader for our Accounting Department, which includes responsibility for the internal & external audit management, financial close, revenue recognition, accounts receivable, accounts payable, contract review, & payroll supporting operations in all the countries we operate in including in Europe, Asia, North America, & the Middle East. Youll help develop best practices, improve processes & procedures, & drive efficiencies. Youll oversee all operations of the Accounting Department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the Departments goals & objectives.
Your success in this role is dependent on your leadership, organization/people development, attention to detail, strategic execution, & communication skills. The ideal candidate must possess the ability to work in a dynamic & quick changing, fast-paced environment.
Business & Strategic Initiatives
- Mentor & develop leaders in the Department
- Provide leadership & strategic support
- Serve as a partner to the business & lead major cross-Departmental Company initiatives
- Ensure the Department's consistent & timely execution against the Company's Objectives & Key Results ("OKRs").
- Represent the Department in Senior Leadership discussions.
- Provide project management & leadership for significant process improvement & enhancement initiatives
- Oversee & develop performance dashboard of key Department metrics
- Work closely with FP&A team on reporting efforts related to senior leadership presentations, budgeting, monthly forecasting, & reporting of actuals
- Serve as an expert on the use of accounting systems
- Manage the accounting systems & users for internal compliance & new requirements
- Coordinate & validate reporting to company parent, meeting both internal & external deadlines
- Lead subject matter expert on all areas requiring technical accounting expertise & support business units on requests for guidance & direction especially with regards to revenue recognition & US GAAP compliance
- Perform technical accounting research, as needed
- Lead the communication & implementation of new accounting practices, policies, & procedures across GA
Financial-Tax-Management Reporting & Controls
- Provide expertise on financial reporting, tax & compliance matters
- Ensure timely financial & management reporting to external stakeholders, including completeness & accuracy of monthly & quarterly financial packages for parent company books (as well as any ad-hoc reporting requirements)
- Establish & maintain formal accounting policies, practices & procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance
- Implement internal controls; ensuring maintenance of appropriate internal controls & financial procedures
- Ensure compliance with local, state, & federal government reporting requirements & tax filings
- Oversee the audit process by external independent auditors, & internal audit requests by parent
- Lead & continue to develop the global accounting capabilities for our fast-paced, rapidly growing company. This includes billing, accounts payable, payroll, consumer & enterprise billing & collections, cash application functions, & revenue recognition
- Maximize return, & limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances; making investments.
- Monitor debt levels, bank account activity & other treasury matters; ensure compliance
- Monitor general & sub-ledger maintenance & ensure a timely close
- Ensure compliance with business service level agreements
- Oversee completeness & accuracy of account reconciliations, accruals, reserves, & intercompany transactions
- 10+ years mixed Big 4 + public accounting and commercial industry experience preferably in a global public company setting
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Actively licensed CPA
- Excellent interpersonal, written & oral communication skills, & the ability to assimilate easily into teams
- Strong technical skills & a working knowledge of S. GAAP, SEC reporting & revenue recognition concepts
- Demonstrated leadership ability, initiative, team management, & interpersonal skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- Eagerness to wear many hats in a fast-paced startup environment; experience in fast-paced, rapidly growing environment preferred. Must have the ability to roll up his/her sleeves & work hard attitude, but also enjoy working in a flexible, supportive & energetic environment
- Subject matter expert
- Concise communicator written & oral
- Analytical leader
- Proactive problem solver
- Process oriented
- Teacher & mentor
- Poised professional temperament
- Relationship builder
- Service mindset
- You are hands-on & not afraid to dive into the details.
- You have a strong understanding of US GAAP & adept at researching accounting rules & boiling them down to the impact on the companys financials.
- You are comfortable with new concepts & complexity; You are described as determined, capable, & agile.
- You possess strong intellectual horsepower & are a quick study.
- You get at the root of the problem & implement fixes so the problem doesnt recur.
- You establish strong relationships with internal & external stakeholders.
- You summarize complex concepts for non-experts in an easy to understand manner.
- You develop staff by setting clear expectations & providing timeline feedback.
- You manage with empathy; you mentor your team & provide them with opportunities to learn & develop.
Remote in the following U.S. states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Washington DC, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Vermont, Virginia