Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Accountant to join our Accounting team, focusing on Revenue.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate has an understanding of technical revenue accounting topics like ASC 606, has experience reconciling balance sheet accounts & performing rollforwards, & is comfortable analyzing Excel files with a high volume of data & transactions. You will report to our new Revenue Accounting Manager & be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Apply revenue recognition standards (i.e. ASC 606) to properly record & reconcile transactions & journal entries related to gross-to-net revenue, cost of goods sold, & related reserves & return assets at a line-item SKU level across all channels & geographies
- Perform the sales audit process, properly reconciling orders through to cash including reconciliation of credit card receivables
- Record & reconcile deferred revenue, gift card liability, store credit liability, refund reserves & return assets, & other revenue-related balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis, & provide context for fluctuations in accounts
- Record & reconcile indirect sales tax (sales tax, VAT, GST) on a monthly basis, in partnership with the Senior Tax Accountant
- Assist the Revenue Manager with analysis & reconciliation of warranty-related liabilities in accordance with ASC 460 & ASC 606
- Work closely with the Inventory team to analyze margins by channel & product categories, & provide insight to relevant stakeholders on any variances
- Collaborate with Data, Customer Service, Corporate Gifting, & Partnership teams to understand & optimize the operational processes that drive the revenue reporting
- Assist in developing & refining business processes & standard operating procedures to properly account for revenue & contra-revenue transactions
- Provide support for audit request or ad-hoc reporting requests
Who you are:
- 3 years of relevant accounting experience; experience with revenue accounting & related balance sheet reconciliations preferred
- Advanced Excel skills, including the ability to perform functions like V-lookup & Pivot Table, as well as write more complex formulas
- Analytical thinker, who understands the order-to-cash cycle & is able to question & improve the existing processes & workpapers
- Understands US GAAP & SOX 404
- Takes initiative to identify problems & propose solutions
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire