At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
The Lyft L5 AV-sensors team is currently seeking a Sensor Simulation Architect. The AV-sensors team, part of Vehicle Systems Development, architects & influences future sensor-subsystems landscape on L5 vehicle platforms through module- & subsystem-partnerships. Aside from architecture & execution, we focus on multi-modal sensor competitive landscape for autonomous vehicles. Finally, we span optical systems performance analysis, verification & validation (V&V) testing, physics simulation, & the systems tradespace for AV sensor-suite design, test, & execution. We collaborate with systems engineering, vehicle integration, autonomy & product design teams to help debug, test, & architect both present & future sensing subsystems on Lyft L5 platform vehicles on the path to product.
The Sensor Simulation architect will lead first-order physics simulations across sensing modalities & establish infrastructure via minimum viable simulation tools needed for camera, lidar, & radar single-pixel analyses & spatially extended scenes. The architect will create a foundation for testing at module-level & subsystem level with data-driven metrics across sensor simulation & test. This role will require the individual to work cross-functionally & build & prototype simulation tools for multi-modal sensor-suite tradespace analysis for constellation & orchestration performance verification & simulation validation.
- Lead/support the development & execution of simulation test cases for verification & validation of AV constellation & orchestration needs across key scenarios for camera, lidar, radar
- Drive sensor characterization via simulation modeling at module-level & subsystem-level
- Execute sensor landscape comparative studies, documenting & publishing results
- Solve complex engineering problems for various phases of development involving sensor analysis, requirements verification & architecture development
- Investigate & conduct studies on specification & sensing requirements for present & new system concepts
- Work with algorithm engineers to understand models of sensor fusion & autonomy metrics as they apply to simulation performance metrics
- Experience in physics modeling of camera & lidar with a nice-to-have in radar focusing on 1st order physics principles
- Ability to learn concepts quickly & ability to solve complex conceptual problems through the application of scientific & engineering principles
- Demonstrated ability to program in Matlab or Python
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Familiarity with electro-optical systems design (e.g., Zemax, Light tools, FRED, Optis)
- Familiarity with imaging subsystem design & simulation frameworks for extended scenes & single-pixel analyses
- Expertise in physics & digital signal processing
- Fundamental knowledge of camera/imaging & active depth imaging systems
- Experience with working on team-based projects across multiple disciplines.
- Using simulation to aid the understanding & performance evaluation of sensors on vehicles operating in controlled & uncontrolled real-world scene environments
- Familiar with off-the-shelf physics-based rendering & 1st order simulation tools
- Familiarity with canonical & CVML algorithms ingesting sensor data for perception & localization objectives
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues & hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy & safe workplace & strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance & other similar state laws & local ordinances, & its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.