Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterments Controller team is responsible for analyzing & reporting on the financial health of our Business. Were looking for someone who thrives in an environment where they will wear multiple hats financial statements guru, technical accounting wizard & business strategist. Youre an energetic team player looking to roll-up your sleeves & provide solutions to problems. Youre jazzed about new accounting pronouncements & driven by financial transparency. Youre eager to flex your skills at a dynamic growth stage company where no two days are the same. In this role, you will join our tight-knit finance team & work directly with Finance leadership.
This role is remote eligible. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position in locations with city or state requirements. For those located elsewhere, the actual compensation offered will be based on candidate experience & geographic location. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $125,00 - $135,000
- Colorado: $106,000 - $121,000
- Washington: $112,000 - $135,000
- California: $112,000 - $135,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, life & AD&D, short-term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter/parking, FSA/HSA, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Research accounting guidance & compose technical accounting memorandums
- Be a main point of contact for all things ASC 606, 718, & 805, etc.
- Develop internal control policies & create internal procedures documentation
- Assist in the month end close & financial reporting processes
- Play a key role in our annual external audit process
- Perform additional ad-hoc requests which arise throughout the year
What were looking for
- 3- 5 years of private or public industry experience in audit, accounting, or finance
- Active CPA license
- Strong technical accounting foundation with a focus on Revenue Recognition, Equity & Bus Comb
- Experience with Microsoft Excel & accounting technology (Netsuite is a plus!)
- A self-starter mentality with meticulous attention to detail
- Clear verbal & written communication skills
- Strong strategic & business decision-making abilities
- Ability to work across disciplines to create new processes and/or resolve issues
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.