Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 700 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Role:
The Head of Dream Fulfillment Center (DFC) Design & Construction is responsible for leading the team that brings to life the technologies & infrastructure that enable the closet in the cloud. DFCs bring together thousands of garments with hundreds of skilled associates & the latest in garment technologies into the largest & highest end dry cleaning facilities in the world. Every day, a massive variety of thousands of brand name garments & accessories travel through the sorting, cleaning, pressing, repair, storage, packing & shipping steps to make our inventory an extension of our customers closets.
This role will be pivotal to the ongoing success of RTR as we continue to leverage our proprietary technologies, extensive designer relationships to offer a truly endless assortment of inventory & to optimize the design of our facilities to enable us deliver on our customer promise with every order.
The role will report directly to the Chief Supply Chain Officer. Peers to this role will be the General Managers of the DFCs, the Head of Transportation, the Head of Customer Service & the Head of Garment Science.
What Youll Do:
- Own optimizations of the layout & design of RTRs two existing facilities in New Jersey & Texas (spanning 500k + square feet combined) as well as total design of future facilities.
- Create a best in class approach to all things DFC design related such as: associate safety, sustainability, quality of garment care, density of cube & the cost of throughput.
- Become intimately familiar with the latest available technologies in garment conveyance, cleaning & repair & tracking to ensure a best in class & iterative approach at all times.
- Develop a keen understanding of RTRs reverse logistics technology, which powers an inventory management system based on regional availability, & help ensure inventory accuracy as an output via successful storage & tracking methodology.
- Partner with internal or external real estate partners, hiring & managing general contractors & overseeing the construction effort of the next generation of RTR DFC design.
- Build out a robust function that couples existing & newly developed technologies to continue to position RTR as a leader in the sharing economy.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, electric or civil engineering required; masters degree in mechanical, electrical or civil engineering & / or professional engineering certification preferred. Experience in designing high density, high volume manufacturing and/or fulfillment operations
- Clear career progression leading a technical team including concept engineering and/or firm engineering including engineers, project managers & drafters.
- Familiarity with real estate brokers, negotiations & lease terms.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.