Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
As the Vice President of Communications at Vox Media, you will be an integral member of the Communications team reporting to the Chief Communications Officer. The primary responsibilities of this role include: building brand & company awareness about our products, our team & our company; managing a team of media relations professionals, & working with company executives & editorial leadership to develop thoughtful, creative, & timely communications strategies for external & internal communication of company priorities & moments.
What you'll do:
- Build & execute strategic communications plans for each of the Vox Media editorial networks, lines of business, key talent, & leaders
- Oversee Vox Medias corporate communications strategy & lead all media relations strategies & efforts
- Lead media relations for the company through brand building & the spreading of company-related news
- Develop & nurture media relations on a regular basis for the company, its editorial networks, & businesses. Maintain & grow strong relationships with key reporters, influencers, & external partners
- Advise company executives & leaders on the development of internal & external communications strategies around company priorities & moments
- Lead all company efforts with business & trade media, including developing proactive company stories & narratives & evaluating incoming press inquiries & opportunities
- Oversee Vox Media corporate social media accounts
- Collaborate on internal & external events & activations & marketing campaigns
- Evaluate, hire, mentor & lead a team of media relations professionals
What you'll bring:
- 10 years of experience (agency and/or in-house) in public relations & communications
- In-depth knowledge & experience working with digital media companies
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to recruit, motivate & retain a high-performance team
- Prior experience speaking on the record
- Strong presentation skills (written & oral)
- Well-established relationships with reporters & producers at leading media outlets across a variety of topics including media business, tech, advertising, & entertainment
- Knowledge of traditional, as well as contemporary/online communications tactics & strategies
- Proven record of developing & executing on strategies to strengthen brands, elevate talent, & achieve company-wide objectives
- Proven experience in pitching & securing story placements & broadcast appearances
- Experience managing crisis communications
- Basic understanding of news cycles & digital media landscape
- Excellent written & verbal communication & interpersonal skills
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.