WHO WE ARE:
The BARK Marketplaces (Barketplaces) team is responsible for selling BARK products on online marketplaces where millions of dog parents in the US, & around the world, are shopping for their dogs, especially Amazon.. Amazon is the largest e-commerce company in the world, so there is no single place to reach more dogs than by being at the top of search results on Amazon.
Our mission is simple: to have a BARK product come up at the top of the search results for anything a dog parent may want or need. We're growing 300% each year but we know there's still much more we can do. Our team is energized by growth, driven to find creative ways to do things differently, undeterred by the unknown or resource constraints, light hearted & supportive of one another.
WHO WERE SNIFFIN FOR:
Were looking for someone who can both be an excellent BARK GM & who can specifically help grow the Marketplaces business. Weve grown 100% YoY & are seeking to continue that rate of expansion for the next few years to become a $100M+ Amazon business.
Our dream candidate has run an Amazon business turning over >$25M/year, is a highly effective communicator, is hungry for a high responsibility role, & is obsessed with dogs!
Were looking to bring in a Marketplaces GM that can take the reins of the rapidly growing Amazon business & help transform it to the next level of operational excellence & scale. Growing the Marketplaces business is critical to BARKs plans to reach all dogs around the world. This role will report directly to our Chief Commercial Officer responsible for all retail & partnerships.
BARK has six core businesses & each business has a General Manager. At BARK, GM's own their business P&L & are accountable for ensuring that the business meets or beats plans. GMs are highly visible company leaders that are responsible for all communications around plans & performance of the business with C-suite management, cross-functional partners, & supporting team.
- Strategy: GMs are responsible for setting the overall strategy of the business. You will be supported by dedicated Directors of Operations, Planning, Merchandising & Growth, & their teams. As the GM, you set the overall direction & work with your team to ensure operating plans are thoroughly built out to support the strategy. For Marketplaces, you will own strategic decisions for how to grow the business; from choices between product expansion strategy, to expanding to other Amazon programs, to launching on other non-Amazon marketplaces.
- P&L Management: You will own the P&L for Marketplaces end to end. You forecast new plans for Board Approval for each Fiscal Year, & then are responsible for delivering the business on plan. You will work closely with Finance to close reporting each month & maintain an accurate rolling forecast for the business.
- Communications: Youre the voice of the business at all levels of the company & will be deep in the data to understand how the business is performing at all times. Youll provide updates to key stakeholders & work to mobilize cross-functional support for the business plans.
- Team management: You are responsible for ensuring everyone working on Marketplaces is aligned around a plan. You will have a team of approximately 10 people dedicated full time to Marketplaces, & additional support from cross-functional departments. BARKs organization structure involves Businesses & Functional teams; as the GM you will partner closely with Functional team leadership to both develop & execute on plans.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
Our ideal candidate has the following experience:
- Amazon expert - Has run an Amazon business turning over >$25M annually (ideally Seller side rather than Vendor side).
- P&L knowledge - Is experienced with forecasting, managing, & delivering on a P&L.
- Data obsessed - Is comfortable interpreting/analyzing data, & communicating results. Fluent in excel, periscope (or data app).
- Proactive - Is able to look around corners, communicate clearly, & take action without permission or much direction.
- Leader - Is an expert in managing a large group of stakeholders with potentially conflicting objectives.
- Dog obsessed - Has a deep first-hand understanding of life with a dog.
This position is a full-time position. It is located remote to start & then on-site at either or NYC or Seattle offices. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.