As Assistant Controller, you will be responsible for the accounting & accounts payable functions in a fast-paced, high-volume, multi-system environment. You must have deep knowledge of the accounting principles & practices that are inherent in a strong control environment. You will help lead the finance function & will partner with the FP&A & accounts receivable teams, as well as work closely with our location general managers & corporate departments. You will also help create infrastructure, bring leadership, & grow accountability on the finance team.
As a successful candidate, you:
- See the big picture but are also well versed in doing the detailed work required to adhere to the policies, practices, & procedures required in a strong control environment
- Are comfortable in a dynamic work environment where policies & procedures are still taking shape
- Pitch in & help when necessary, even if it means shuffling your priorities
- Work well both independently & on teams
- Pay attention to detail & meet deadlines
- Have strong interpersonal, communication, analytical, & problem-solving skills
- Manage 6-8 person accounting & accounts payable teams
- Conduct monthly, quarterly, & year-end financial closings
- Monitor & improve accounting processes, procedures, & internal controls
- Manage & review financial transaction workflows to ensure that all accounting transactions are processed accurately & in compliance with company & accounting standards
- Supervise & review the preparation of monthly journal entries & all balance sheet reconciliations, including bank reconciliations, fixed asset reconciliations, etc.
- Partner with business leaders & general managers to review pre-close & post-close P&L
- Help Corporate Controller prepare & review financial statements on a consolidated & individual company basis
- Work with external auditors on financial statement audits, sales & use tax audits, & other compliance audits (such as workers comp)
- Review & manage CRT & other company filings, including audits, prepared by the accounting team for all entities
- Train & develop finance team members
- Bachelor of science degree in accounting required
- Mix of public accounting & private company experience required; CPA preferred
- Strong accounting foundation & deep knowledge of accounting principles, practices, & procedures required
- 8-10 years experience managing teams & finance functions, preferably in a dynamic, high-growth environment
- Multi-currency experience preferred
- Ability to think outside the box to build a best-in-class finance function
- Solid computer skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Convene designs & services premium places to work, meet, & host inspiring events. Through strategic partnerships with prominent commercial landlords, Convene operates a network of hospitality-driven locations in Class A office buildings across major U.S. cities, with plans to expand globally. Convene has raised $260M in equity funding to date, & has been named one of Americas 100 Most Promising Companies by Forbes & a Best Workplace by both & Fortune Magazine.
Other recent accolades include:
- 2017-2019 Certified Great Place to Work
- 2018 Fortune Best Small & Medium Workplaces U.S.
- #11 Workplace in New York in 2017 by Fortune Magazine
- #30 in 2017 LinkedIn List of Most In-Demand Startups
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: we believe our values drive behaviors to create culture. Together were building a culture that embraces diversity & learning, humility & gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously & strive for a healthy integration between work & personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Convene employee
- Supportive work environment & leaders who are focused on your professional growth
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growth. Have a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, we support it. Each employee is required to have 65 hours of learning per year.
- Flexible PTO & family leave
- 401k match
- Excellent health coverage for team members & their families
- Company events that highlight our team's passions & hobbies
- Healthy snacks
Convene is committed to building an inclusive & diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer & welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, & perspectives.