NS1s mission is to unlock the potential of DNS to deliver the tech that powers our customers & the world. We are the market leader in DNS & traffic management software & services, & our customers include the biggest properties & largest enterprises on the internet, such as Salesforce, LinkedIn, Squarespace, Pandora, Imgur, Yelp, Dropbox, & many more. Our modern DNS technologies enable optimized application delivery, couple via our APIs into the tooling & processes of todays DevOps organizations, & deliver reliability & performance at global scale. We operate a worldwide, highly tuned Managed DNS network, & also deliver our technologies to customers as single-tenant software deployments. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.
NS1 is seeking a Director of Infrastructure to join our engineering leadership. This person will:
Manage scale of costs incurred through hardware, software, & operational teams as our infrastructure evolves with business demands. Design & own proactive capacity planning processes. Ensure that our design & continued automation of our systems & team models drive efficiency with growth.
Drive a paradigm shift from we serve DNS to we operate a global network that delivers DNS & other traffic management products, effectively commoditizing our edge network.
Interface with product development as we consume our main products, providing feedback, participating in the design cycle, & advocating for NS1s requirements as an end user of our software.
Tie together infrastructure verticals into a single cohesive strategy, adhering roadmap to standards set around performance reliability, scale, & security of our systems. Ensure the strategic direction for the infrastructure, tooling, & management of our edge network appropriately provides & scales our end product delivery for our customers.
Manage the management structure & teams for our TechOps & DevOps teams, including coaching & developing our engineering managers & iterating upon our follow-the-sun staffing rotations.
- Single point of contact within NS1 for information & advocacy of infrastructure org
- Manage infrastructure budget, including hardware, software, & people spend.
- Manage TechOps manager, DevOps manager, & Vietnam manager. Performance management for individuals in org
- Develop & monitor SLI/SLA, supporting metrics for our infrastructure
- Serve as escalation for incident event handling, communications, & analysis
- Interface with customers on issues related to performance & incidents
- Help manage vendor relationships & ensure SLAs are met with colocation, transit, & cloud infrastructure providers.
- Own infrastructure roadmap, work prioritization, & delegation between team units within infrastructure department.
- Drive strategic planning for growth & management of our infrastructure
- Development of organizational design, & manage related hiring & onboarding activities
- Represent NS1 at industry events
- Adhere to & iterate upon compliance & regulatory models
- Iterate upon preparedness & proactivity initiatives related to managing & operating edge network including fire drills, DR drills, & chaos engineering activities.
- Own business continuity plans & disaster recovery initiatives
- Serve as primary point of contact for sales RFP content related to infra
- Oversee development of security practices
- Managed large, distributed systems. Has run a global network, & can support the demands of one of the world's largest anycasted networks
- Operated an application or platform with tens of sites & hundreds of servers
- Deep familiarity with infrastructure as code
- Has been on call in past lives & is comfortable as management escalation for on call
- Organized & effective strategic planner, with prior experience managing infrastructure budgets
- Managed managers in past teams, & has worked with globally distributed teams
Our technology stack at NS1, & the many systems youll have an opportunity to work with here:
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS platform thats deployed on physical hardware
- Anycasted edge network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API & Client Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection & alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, & DDoS mitigation tools
- Distributed messaging, persistent DB & caching systems
- Other technologies & integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
- Go, Python, Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, node
- OpenTSDB, ELK, Grafana
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, & libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients & integrations
Working @ NS1
Were a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York Citys Financial District with offices & team members around the world. Working at NS1, youll come to understand our team is unique, both in & out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, & athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. Were hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open & honest communication & we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, & creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary & stock options)
- medical, dental, & vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours & time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.