At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
We build & run the internal tools that builds & runs our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development & the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features & functionality & scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the worlds largest networks with data centers in 165+ cities worldwide.
What you'll do
In this role you will work on Spectrum, a new product that extends Cloudflares security & performance beyond web traffic. As an engineer on the Spectrum team, you will be responsible for building & maintaining the technologies & systems that comprise Spectrum, both in our high-performance global edge network & in our centralized microservice cluster.
Examples of software systems that youll be working with include:
- A Layer 4 proxy running at Cloudflares Edge, responsible for making any & all TCP/UDP traffic from clients to The Edge as fast & secure as possible.
- A global data pipeline that processes hundreds of thousands of events per second, used to deliver insights about Spectrum to customers & internal teams alike.
- REST APIs that enable customers to quickly & easily protect their services via Spectrum.
You will participate in all stages of the software development lifecycle, from designing & documenting systems, to writing code & automated tests, to planning, managing, & monitoring production software deployments. You will work with a wide range of technologies & programming languages, including Go, Rust, Python, REST APIs, ClickHouse, Kafka, Salt, SQL, Grafana, Docker, Kubernetes, & Marathon.
Other responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with internal teams (security, network engineering, SRE, product management) to design effective & scalable solutions to difficult technical problems.
- Reviewing work from your peers throughout all stages of the development lifecycle.
- Working with our support teams to ensure customer delight.
- Mentoring team members to help bring out their best work.
- Representing the team within the company through blogging & tech talks.
Because youll be solving problems of massive scale & significance, & shaping the future of performance on the Internet, you are a growth-oriented individual who enjoys being outside of your comfort zone. You are comfortable in a fast-paced but sane work environment.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- Programming experience in Go, Rust, C, or C++.
- Working knowledge of modern Unix/Linux development & runtime environments.
- Strong low level debugging skills.
- A solid grasp of networking protocols in any of Layers 3-7 of the OSI Model.
- Experience in implementing secure & highly-available distributed systems.
- Strong ability to debug issues in complex systems.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills. Curiosity & empathy are coveted traits here!
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actualrace, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail email@example.com via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.