Squarespace is looking for an Engineering Manager on the Microservices Platform team within the Foundations group. The Microservices Platform team improves our standardized backend Java service framework & ensures that it is up-to-date. This framework is used by most product & platform teams at Squarespace to quickly spin up new services, making this a high impact & high visibility role. You will report to the Sr. Engineering Manager of Foundations - Backend Platform.
This is a hybrid role in our NY office.
As the Engineering Manager for Microservices Platform team, you will:
- Work with the product manager & engineers to create a vision & execution strategy for what the future of services are at Squarespace
- Ensure that engineers at Squarespace are following development best practices
- Partner with other leaders to influence product, architectural & organizational choices
- Grow engineers through coaching, mentoring & feedback
- Build a healthy & inclusive culture within your team which encourages everyone to contribute
This role is a good fit for you if you:
- Are passionate about evaluating new libraries & technology to decide what should be available to engineers
- Have strong opinions about software development best practices
- Enjoy creating processes & integrating with technologies that improve developer productivity
- Are bothered by using outdated or EOL technology, so you like to make sure that your team (and the rest of the company) is always on a supported stable version
- Believe in the philosophy that platform teams are really product teams with internal users
- Are known for your communication skills & collaborating well with technical & nontechnical stakeholders
- Have a customer service mindset - we're building things to help product engineers go to market faster & not (just) because something is cool
- Are good at service oriented architecture design & best practices
- Have prior devops experience, or working closely with infrastructure or devops teams
- Have 6+ years of backend programming experience in Java
- Have 3+ years of prior tech lead, team lead, or engineering management experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.