Build the team, processes, & strategy to help Flexport be compliant.
Investing your time with Flexport means keeping pace with a rapidly growing business, learning new skills, & seeking opportunities to fill the gap. The Customs Compliance team is focused on building compliant trade practices to support our exciting growth plans while remaining one of the top compliance-focused customs brokers & freight forwarders in the industry.
We're looking for a Customs Compliance Manager, based in Amsterdam, to help provide subject matter expertise for import & export matters; ensuring compliance with all relevant customs regulations & trade laws. Flexport Compliance teams ensure that Flexport transactions satisfy legal requirements to file complete & accurate import & export declarations with local customs & other government authorities for international shipments.
- Work closely with a team of professionals committed to ensuring company compliance with all regulatory laws impacting global trade.
- Provide expertise related to, & manage escalations from, operations or our clients, regarding customs compliance & regulatory matters.
- Create, assess, & improve compliance procedures, processes, & training to support the company priorities, including audit & monthly scorecards.
- Conduct compliance reviews to confirm policy adherence & identify knowledge gaps within the organization. Develop & provide relevant training to close gaps when identified.
- Be responsible for AEO-C reporting & program adherence.
- Respond to inquiries from & interact with Customs & other related government agencies.
- Monitor & report the effectiveness of current processes & oversight measures & evaluate exposure to risks, performing root cause analysis on processes & policies when issues arise both internally or with clients.
- Identify risk areas, such as customs value, classification, origin, disputes, authorizations & rulings & outside broker management; control risks in these areas including customs value rulings, HS code master data, & broker instructions.
- Monitor the customs control framework, including in-country checking & assessment, central data collection, central validation, internal & external audit, feedback, setting priorities & share practice.
- Keep abreast of changing regulations & industry practices by building alliances with key industry associations & peers, reading regulations, & attending industry conferences. Proactively inform relevant stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for automation & scale to exceed industry standards. Leverage technology & product support to bring Customs operations to the next level.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of transparency & problem-solving.
- Thrive in a fast growth, fast-paced, open space work environment.
You should have:
- 7+ years of professional experience with a brokerage or importer in a customs or compliance role
- Strong understanding of Europe & other Customs Regulations & application of HTS classification
- In-depth knowledge & understanding of trade regulations & application to real-world customs situations.
- Experience with AEO-C Certification requirements
- Experience with post-entry amendments & appeal procedures
- Excellent individual problem-solving & analytical skills to review customer requests & complex transactions
- Experience working with a wide array of applications including but not limited to Google Suite & /or Apple Software
- An appreciation of the legal, compliance, & financial context of our work & display appropriate sensitivity to the confidential nature of the work
- Excellent communication & presentation skills, including being able to present to all levels of an audience
- Strong interpersonal communication skills & ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues & other stakeholders
- Unquestionable ethics & integrity
- An ability to identify & solve complex problems
- A degree in international business or supply chain or similar equivalent experience
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Read about three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.