Away is looking for an Operations Accounting Associate Manager to join the team at HQ. This newly created role will support the operational activities of the business, such as inventory, retail ops, & retail expansion, by developing & improving processes, systems, & controls that enable us to account for business activities in an efficient & scalable way. This role will provide guidance & oversight to the accounting team, & will support the Controller with ongoing initiatives for improving internal controls, managing profitability, & finding efficiencies in accounting processes across multiple entities.
What Youll Do
- Develop strong internal processes for accounting across operational functions of the business, including but not limited to retail accounting (revenue recognition, cash reconciliation, inventory control, etc.), inventory operations (cost accounting, inventory control, perpetual reconciliations), shipping & freight-related activities, accrual processes, & fixed asset capitalization & tracking
- Oversee the proper reconciliation of key balance sheet accounts
- Directly participate in the monthly close process & development of financial disclosures with respect to key accounts, including retail revenue recognition, chargeback review & analysis, inventory reconciliation, inventory accruals, fixed asset capitalization, & future purchase obligations
- Support the Controller in developing a reporting package & processes that can be easily replicated across new entities/countries
- Create & maintain internal controls across all entities
- Support the Senior Accounting Manager, Controller, or operational business partners with special projects & requests
- Assist with audit requests, such as preparing supporting documentation & schedules or providing requested support
- Maintain process documentation & look for opportunities to automate & improve daily account processes
- Build & present ad-hoc reports to support monthly analyses as needed
Who You Are:
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance or a related field; CPA preferred
- 4-5 years of accounting experience in public accounting, internal audit, or a high-functioning accounting team reporting into a CPA; including progressive levels of responsibility & experience managing at least 1 other person
- Strong understanding of US GAAP & SOX 404
- Consumer Product Good or other inventory-based industry experience required; preference to candidates with a mix of small business, large corporate department, & international experience
- Comfortable developing & designing processes, policies, work papers, & templates
- Experience with ecommerce & retail accounting, with respect to revenue recognition, analysis of chargebacks, maintenance of merchant service accounts, & reconciliation to cash
- Experience with or understanding of cost accounting, including standard costs, allocations of freight & duties, PPV analysis, & COG adjustments
- Enthusiastic & eager to learn & problem solve, including taking initiative to propose solutions
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational & time management skills
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills with management, direct co-workers, as well as other departments
- Demonstrates flexibility & adaptability in a change-oriented environment
- Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Advanced Excel skills
- Exposure to Netsuite, Expensify, & Looker a plus but not a requirement
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to enhance your travel experience. Were building a company with a mission to make travel more seamlessstarting with luggage. We started in 2016 with one foundational piece: The Carry-On. Today, were working to build the #1 travel brand in the world.
To date weve sold more than one million travel products, opened several retail locations, expanded internationally to meet our customers where they are, launched an in-house media division, & grown to a team of more than 200 people. We know thats just the beginning.
Fast Company named us one of their 2018 Top 10 Most Innovative Companies, we were selected as one of TIME's 50 Genius Companies of 2018, included on LinkedIn's "Top Startups of 2018" list, & called a Breakthrough Brand with Ingenious Marketing by Adweek.