CommonBondis buildingavalues-driven, customer-centric financial services company.Our missionis tochangethe way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interestrates,a state-of-the art technology platform, andcaringcustomer service.We also are theonlyfinancial services companywitha 1-for-1 social program:For every loan funded, we fund the education ofa child in the developing world. CommonBond has been named to the World's 50 Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, the 50 Best Places to Work by, & the Forbes Fintech 50. Weare backed by great investors, have an awesome team, & are looking for our next great team member.
CommonBond is looking for an Associate General Counsel who will be responsible for implementing our strategic & tactical legal & compliance initiatives to promote & protect the company. Reporting into the CFO, this individual will be responsible for recommending & executing all strategic legal-related matters at CommonBond. The ideal candidate must possess stellar legal instincts, excellent leadership skills, & strong business intuition.
As our Internal Counsel, you will (1) provide effective legal & regulatory counsel, (2) negotiate contracts, (3) manage the work of outside counsel & (4) leverage relationships with regulators & law-makers.
Provide effective legal & regulatory counsel.
Keep informed, & advise on potential impacts, of proposed changes to applicable privacy, data security, consumer protection & other laws & regulations.
Be the expert on laws & regulations that impact CommonBond now & in the future, including:
- CFPB Disclosures
- Higher Ed Re-Authorization Act (IBR & PSLF)
- Regulation Z (Truth in Lending/TILA)
- Regulation B (Equal Credit Opportunity Act/ECOA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLBA)
- Fair Debt Collection Practices (FDCPA)
- Unfair Deceptive Abusive Acts & Practices (UDAAP)
Have the ability to expertly:
- Negotiate contracts
- Serve as active legal advisor on the companys financing initiatives, including securitizations, corporate finance, partnerships & contracts.
- Draft & negotiate other commercial contracts including enterprise level agreements.
- Assist with internal audit, regulatory & corporate compliance programs.
- Manage the work of outside counsel
- Manage the selection, retention, management & budget of all outside counsel relationships.
- Leverage & build relationships with regulators & law-makers
- Leverage & build relationships with the local, state & federal government bodies & policy makers.
- Minimum of 7+ years legal & corporate counsel experience.
- Phenomenal judgment.
- Ability to work proactively & reliably within tight timeframes in a fast-paced, high-performance environment.
- Strong attention to detail, creative & resourceful.
- Ability to demonstrate a practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving & be able to effectively counsel clients. with clear, concise, & creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines.
- Level demeanor, presence, credibility & influencing skills.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written & verbal.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks & provide swift solutions.
- Experience in the consumer lending, payments or financial services industry is preferred.
- JD required.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.