Who we are
All Star Code is a non profit computer science education organization focused on motivated Black & Latino young men. Few organizations prepare this underserved group for careers in the innovation economy. Our ultimate goal is to close the wealth, income, & opportunity gaps.
All Star Code creates economic opportunity by developing a new generation of boys & young men of color with an entrepreneurial mindset who have the tools they need to succeed in a technological world.
All Star Code envisions a country where all young men of color have the access to the tools of success, & where the ability to thrive is available to all who are willing to dare greatly.
Summer Intensive Lead Instructor
- We're looking for innovative leaders & educators to help us bridge the gap between tech & diversity by teaching programming & web development to young men of color for six weeks in our unique pop-up classrooms hosted at some of the world's top tech companies.
- Lead Instructors will be responsible for delivering All Star Code's curriculum to a class of 20 high school students, while also managing the site's instructional team.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Engaging Educator - You are at your best when you are sharing knowledge with others in a way that is considerate to your audience
- Inclusive Educator: You are prepared to work with students with diverse learning styles/needs, & excited to learn best practices
- Builder - Youre able to take an idea & take the necessary steps to bring that idea to fruition
- Problem Solver - You know how to troubleshoot & solve problems
- Change-maker - You are interested in & passionate about affecting the stark lack of diversity in tech
- Nimble, Empathetic Leader - You absorb information quickly, you ask questions, & you anticipate the needs of your team. You are comfortable with feedback & difficult conversations
- "Hustler" - You are always looking for the next great opportunity, whether for yourself or others
- Team Player - You seek feedback, you collaborate, & you support those you oversee
- Experienced Project Manager - You excel at keeping projects organized & on schedule. You are good at delegating tasks & following up on them.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or comparable experience
- Teaching experience
- Embodiment of the All Star Traits: Motivation to Learn, Self-actualization, & Hustle
- Proficiency in at least ten of the following skills:
- Computer Science concepts
- Command Line
- Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Website Development
- Responsive Websites
- Front-end Development
- Back-end Development
- Event Handlers
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Asynchronous Programming
- GitHub and/or Git
- Serve as the instructional leader for a cohort of 20 students
- Design lesson plans & submit to the Curriculum Team in time to be reviewed prior to each instructional day
- Lead delivery of All Star Codes Technical & Core Skill Curriculum
- Manage the instructional team of one Teaching Assistant & one Teaching Fellow (an alumni from the program)
- Lead project management for your instructional team
- Learn alongside other educators & coders in a professional development pre-service experience, as well as weekly feedback & evaluation opportunities
- Serve as point of contact for various stakeholders, including parents, donors, partners, etc.
- Serve as main "chaperone" during off-site activities
- Lead early morning restorative & community-building practices three times a week
- Administer technical assessments & student weekly surveys
- Model All Star Code culture in the classroom: Dare Greatly. Celebrate Failure. Tell Your Story.
- Evaluate & track quantitative & qualitative student progress
- Lead student Orientation (at the start of the Summer Intensive) & Demo Day (at the end) in partnership with instructional team
- Participate in weekly calls with Curriculum Team & fellow instructors
Please be available for:
- Professional Development Week: June 22 - 26, 2019 (remote/video conferencing, up to 40 hours, which includes the evening of June 25, 2019, for Student Orientation)
- Our Six - Week Summer Intensive Program for Students: July 6 - August 14, 2019 (up to 35 hours per week, with an additional 4 evening hours needed on August 13, 2019, for Demo Day)
- NOTE: for those with school obligations, you MUST inform us of any scheduling conflicts BEFORE being hired.
Host Site Pittsburgh
- This seasonal, full-time position is offered at a $38.50 per hour
- Perks include:
- Daily lunch provided
- Extended professional development training
- Site visits to New Yorks top tech companies (Spotify & Uber, to name a few)
- Off-hours social outings with students
All Star Code is an equal opportunity employer & welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.