Were looking for a Commerce Staff Writer to join the Thrillist Commerce Team, within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Commerce Team team, youll create serviceable product-driven content, including reviews, gift guides, expert-curated features, & more that harnesses the expertise of the Thrillist brand in order to provide insight to our audience & value for our suite of affiliate partners. This role is based in New York City & will report to the Editorial Director of Commerce.
The Commerce Staff Writer will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Youll work closely with Commerce Team editors to research, write, & publish multiple articles per day to hit ambitious monthly output & revenue goals.
- Keep tabs on the goings-on in core Thrillist coverage areas to identify fun, engaging, & service-oriented story ideas that can help drive affiliate revenue.
- Own article production from beginning to end, from writing copy & adding appropriate affiliate links, to packaging for publication & promotion on the site & social channels.
- Use both third party & proprietary Group Nine data insights to inform & develop new content ideas that satisfy both audience & consumer interest.
- Work closely with the greater Thrillist Editorial team on larger projects & site-wide initiatives.
- Collaborate with Commerce Team editors to produce dedicated content for strategic affiliate partners.
- Assist in programming of a fast-growing email newsletter.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Producing content thats engaging, actionable, & above all, fits within the editorial tone & quality of the Thrillist brand & its core coverage areas of food, drink, travel, & beyond.
- Publishing stories that regularly bring in significant audience traffic & drive meaningful affiliate revenue.
- Meeting or exceeding individual article output goals.
- Juggling multiple tasks & projects at once & seamlessly adapting to new team strategies if & when priorities shift.
- Effectively identifying & recruiting expert sources & approaching all story ideas with a curious eye.
- 2+ years in an editorial position with experience in a commerce-oriented role
- Comfort using data to drive product selection & content decisions
- Proficiency with content analytics programs (Google Analytics, SEMRush) & SEO best practices
- Familiarity with commerce best practices as well as affiliate platforms & strategy
- Strong writing, research, copywriting, & copyediting skills, with a track record of producing high-quality content
- Reliable & independent self-starter, with a positive & team-friendly attitude
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment & remain cool under pressure
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience writing about consumer products, specifically in the food/kitchen, travel, spirits, or outdoor space
- Experience tracking or covering major sales events & identifying good deals
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.