Group Nine is seeking an experiencedProduction Accountantto join our premier production accounting team. This role will be instrumental in providing accurate cost reporting, evaluating & budgeting for productions, & ensuring adherence to financial policies & procedures. The ideal candidate would demonstrate a thorough understanding of accounting for productions (such as digital, commercial or TV). This position will report to the Director of Production Finance & will partner closely with the Studios team & members of the finance team.
- Provide accurate, complete & timely reporting: cost reports, cash flows, & trial balances
- Provide day-to-day guidance on workflows & enforce accounting procedures
- Collaborate with producers to create production budgets & review contract terms
- Prepare cash flow schedules & funding requests in accordance with deals & schedules
- Handle banking inquiries, production deposits, bank reconciliations & wire transfers
- Manage accounts payable (incl. POs, invoices, checks, expense reports, p-cards, petty cash)
- Facilitate onboarding/offboarding of cast & crew & process payroll
- Process any necessary intercompany transactions & billbacks
- Assist in the creation of new production entities & set-up of bank accounts (if applicable)
- Support month end accounting close (incl. accruals, journal entries, & reconciliations)
- Set up new shows in production accounting system (EP SmartAccounting)
- Organize, maintain & archive files
- Keep informed of all union/guild contracts (rates, rules & regulations)
- Research & track available tax incentives, residuals, & royalties
- Prepare, issue, & file annual IRS 1099
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis or reporting as needed
- Minimum 5+ years of progressive experience accounting for productions within a studio, network, branded agency, production company (digital, commercial, TV, film)
- Thorough understanding of production accounting practices (payroll, labor laws, guilds & unions, accounts payable, vendor set-up, cost tracking & reporting, cash flow schedules, disbursements, reconciliation, reforecasts, audits, insurance, contractual obligations, tax incentives, royalties, residuals etc.)
- Bachelors degree in accounting or finance
- Proficient in Excel & experience with SmartAccounting & or MediaWeb
- Other Skills (preferred not required): NetSuite, SmartStart, SmartTime, Movie Magic Budgeting, Movie Magic Scheduling, Airtable, Salesforce, Gmail
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks & work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, pro-active, & high adaptability
- Must exhibit the highest personal & professional standards of integrity & ethics
- Highly personable, team player, with curiosity & drive; collaboration is key
- Strong & effective written & verbal communication skills
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees run clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea. Who needs anything else?