Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management & technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 27 buildings, 6 cities, & over 800 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 3,000 new member applications per week.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves & has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Interior Designer to join our Design & Construction Team to create interior design for shared living. The position will require the candidate to provide Interior Design services to our partners through concept mood boards, drawing sets, specifications, & sketch renderings. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize & execute better housing across multiple cities on a large scale. This role will report to the Senior Manager for Interior Architecture.
- Understanding & implementing of Commons design philosophy
- Works closely with the Interior Architect, assisting him/her during all phases of the design process from concept to handover
- Creates, prepares, & presents interior design concepts for the review of Interior Architect
- Develops design intent schedules, outline & criteria/performance specifications schedules for the review of Interior Architect
- Capable of assisting with space planning as well as assisting & developing drawings from conceptual design through design development sets
- Strong project leadership skills: work as a part of the Interior Architecture team & with external consultants
- Strong client & vendor management skills
- Capable of working on projects from concept design through construction administration
- Firm understanding & sharp eye for interior finishes & materials
- Work with the team to build a materials library from scratch
- Ensures documents & presentations are filed in accordance with Commons design standards
- Strong knowledge of vintage & contemporary furniture, lighting, & fixtures
- Capable of producing finish + fixture schedules & experience managing project budgets
- Proficiency in millwork detailing, specifications & reviewing shop drawings
- Proficiency & experience in furniture & lighting production, selecting, sourcing, quoting
- Ensures regular reviews at key design stages with Senior Interior Architect & Manager
- 4+ years of experience in Residential Design, Hospitality experience is a plus
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Interior Design
- Proficiency in millwork detailing
- Experience assembling & producing drawing sets
- Experience & excitement in being in a collaborative work environment
- Knowledge of local & online showrooms & resources, industry trends
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, creative environment
- Sharp eye for interior design & finishes required
- Candidate must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting their ideas
- Candidate must be very organized & be able to multitask across a large number of projects with various deadlines
- Candidate must have a talent for customer service & client management
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices
- Candidate must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Must have proficiency in:
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.