When something is broken, do you want to figure out why? When you figure out why, do you explain the process to your friends?
Join our growing support team to level up on cutting-edge technology, Golang, Open Source community management, SaaS operations, & to collaborate with our wide range of customers & partners.
As a Support Engineer, you'll respond to support questions from our range of customers, collaborate with the developers & product teams on characterizing, reproducing, & fixing issues, add to our documentation & training materials, host webinars, & work with our open-source community on GitHub & elsewhere. You will be a key part of our 24/7 support presence, supporting our on-premise customers & SaaS users. You will assist customers who are paying for SLA support, customers using InfluxCloud (our SaaS offering), & customers using only the open-source products. You'll be supporting users at Fortune 50 enterprises, fledgling startups, established startups, academic researchers, & government projects. Our customers come from many fields, including industrial automation, high frequency trading, consumer retail, online gaming, & energy management.
We're looking for candidates who value continual improvement & building tools & teachings that benefit the open source development community. The Support team is a good home for people who leave things better than they found them. We are people who say "I'll learn!" rather than "I don't know." You'll need to be open to experimenting, which means that sometimes you will fail. (That's okay -- every mistake is also a lesson.) You'll need the persistence to find a solution without a flowchart laying out the entire process. You'll need the maturity & experience to work without direct oversight much of the day, & with colleagues distributed around the globe. You will be working closely with the whole company & all of our customers, so you'll need to be empathic, supportive, & self-aware.
What you'd be doing:
- Support a global customer base via GitHub, community, email & ticketing systems
- Demonstrate ownership, follow-through with customers & drive issues to resolution
- Reproduce customer issues & test new product functionality
- Partner with customers to achieve their desired goals by illustrating best practices
- Adhere to contractual SLAs for responsiveness
- Update & extend documentation
- Participate in on-call rotation for the SaaS product with rest of the team
- Enhance our InfluxDB Cloud offering using automation & monitoring tools
- Develop solutions using Flux, Golang, Python
- Communicate recurring issues, challenges, & roadblocks with fellow team members & products
What we're looking for:
- Experience in a customer-facing position
- Excellent English written & verbal communication skills
- Empathy for people facing technical challenges
- Professional, personable, conscientious
- 4+ years of technical work experience: support, development, engineering, etc.
- Profound knowledge in non-relational database concepts, database clustering, HA services, load balancing, automation, monitoring, configuration management & queuing (Kafka, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO, MQ Series, etc.)
- Knowledge of Networking & HTTP(S)d
- Significant administration experience in Linux-based application hosting environments
- Expertise in at least in one of the following: Python+NumPy/SciPy, R, Matlab or Haskell
- Software development experience, particularly Golang or Rust is a plus
- Experience deploying on, & integrating with AWS, Azure, or GCP cloud environments.
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes in a production environment.
- Familiarity with automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet
- Familiarity with system monitoring tools & practices (Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss, Sensu, etc.)
- Git or other version control systems experience
Nice to have:
- Documentation or tech writing experience
- Professional Services or Training experience
- Experience with time-series data tools
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading open source time series database. We are a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, & Battery Ventures, & a Y Combinator success story. Headquartered in San Francisco, InfluxDatas workforce is distributed throughout the U.S. & across Europe. The company was recently named one of the 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators by Fast Company.
Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by IoT devices, applications, networks, containers & computers. We are on a mission to help developers & organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, PayPal, & Tesla, store & analyze real-time data, empowering them to build transformative monitoring, analytics, & IoT applications quicker & to scale.
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company & only by having a core set of beliefs & values will we be successful. We hire & live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters & recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.