Oscars platform engineering teams are building the foundational blocks of the health insurance stack. They manage systems that include Oscars provider data pipeline, claims processing engine, & utilization management platform. Together, these teams manage rich ecosystems of data, provide well-designed APIs, & build performant services in order to power innovative & elegant solutions for Oscars members, providers, & internal users.
As a senior staff engineer, you will play a hands-on role in designing our architecture & scaling our systems as we are building the next-generation insurance platform. Youll serve as a technical expert in your respective product domains, services, & data pipelines & youll collaborate with product managers & business stakeholders. Youll also mentor engineers to uplevel our technical practices to improve stability, performance, & scalability of our platform.
You will report to the Senior Director of Engineering in the NYC office.
- Be hands-on & bias towards action.
- Raise the bar for the technical practices & systems on your teams.
- Lead the design, architecture, & execution of complex technical projects.
- Identify improvements that will increase our stacks reliability, performance, simplicity, & extensibility.
- Be versatile to jump across system boundaries & into our infrastructure to identify & solve problems.
- Coach engineers on the team to improve technology & apply best practices.
- Work with stakeholders, product managers, & designers to solve challenging problems.
- Implement step-wise technical migrations of our existing services & applications.
- You have 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, working with a variety of backend & data-intensive systems, & have increasingly impactful technical accomplishments.
- You have expertise in working with RDBMS databases (PostgreSQL), stream-processing (Kafka), message queues (SQS), RPC frameworks (gRPC), distributed tracers, time-series metrics (Prometheus), debuggers, & profilers. As a bonus, you are an expert in Python & Go.
- You care about what you do & you are excited by Oscars mission.
- You are hands-on & love continuously improving the systems you work on.
- You have experience proposing, experimenting, & iterating, whether it be a new shiny technology or an arcane, ill-conceived data structure; our company may be new, but the health industry isnt!
- You have experience with technical contributions, improving the quality of what you create, & are excited to build fault-tolerant, & scalable software systems.
- You are unfazed by ambiguity & bring clarity to nebulous problems.
- You are empathetic, thoughtful, & data informed in your approach to solutions.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.