About the company
Boxed is a rapidly growing ecommerce retailer & enabler built on the foundation of a world-class proprietary technology platform. With 8+ years of evolution, iteration, & successful disruption of the U.S. wholesale club industry, Boxed has developed a comprehensive tap-to-ship Ecommerce tech stack few other companies can boast. With Boxed, customers can have their household, pantry, & personal care essentials delivered to their home or office in 2 days or less with no membership fee. Our goal is to leverage our technology & data to deliver a superior shopping experience to our customers via our web & mobile app platforms.
Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. At our core, we are a data-driven, customer-centric technology company, & data truly is at the center of everything we do. We are a vibrant, fun & close group of engineers, product managers, data scientists, analysts, & operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value & experience to our customers.
About the team
The Data Analytics & Strategy teams mission is to empower operators with accurate & actionable data, robust tools, & strategic insights to unlock value for the business. We believe in using data to inform every decision, & we work hard to ensure that every dollar invested is optimized to generate the best outcome for the company. This position will play a crucial role in revealing & enabling revenue growth, margin expansion, & maximization of the companys aggregate customer lifetime value. The team will also take an active role in driving performance & instilling a culture of transparency & accountability.
About the role
We are looking for a high performing Director of Business Intelligence to join our Data Analytics & Strategy team. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced & high-growth organization, & possess strong technical & quantitative capabilities with a natural ability to build relationships internally in order to structure & deliver superior strategic insights in a scalable manner. This role will have the opportunity to build out a business intelligence team & will in the future recruit, train, & manage a team of analysts. This position will report directly to the Senior Director of Analytics & Strategy.
Role & Responsibilities
- Partner with cross-functional teams such as Marketing/Product/Merchandising/Operations & Customer Service to deliver standardized, automated, & actionable insights via business intelligence tools
- Lead & manage migration from current Sisense BI Tool (aka Periscope Data) to Sisense Fusion Analytics & see through full implementation of new platform
- Partner with Sisense team & 3rd party implementation consultants to ensure a smooth & orderly transition, maintaining concurrency on both platforms to ensure no disruption to critical reporting & business operations
- Own & maintain Business Intelligence capabilities, systems, & processes including RFP processes for new tools & upgrades to existing tools (both 3rd party & proprietary)
- Partner with Palantir team & internal stakeholders to identify further opportunities to leverage Palantirs Foundry platform to enable & optimize Boxed retail performance
- Partner with cross-functional retail teams to develop & standardizing analytics dashboards & reporting with an emphasis on enabling self-service, data discovery, & data literacy
- Leverage Sisense BI Tool(s), SQL, dbt, GitHub & other tools to build upon Boxeds analytics capabilities in our centralized data warehouse, including: advanced data modeling, standardized views & dashboards, automated reporting, & ad-hoc analytics requests
- Work with the cross-functional Data team, inclusive of Product Managers, Data Scientists, & Data Engineers to support the advancement of Boxeds analytics engineering framework including scoping of new data models, rigorous documentation of data models & schemas, & standardization of processes & workflows throughout the broader data organization
- Act as a strategic thought partner for cross-functional retail teams to both generate & evaluate the viability/impact of new tests & initiatives
- Analyze results of A/B tests across the platform leveraging proprietary tools, SQL, & statistical models & synthesize clear recommendations for business unit owners
- Work with VP of Analytics to determine optimal organizational structure for supporting Boxeds Retail Operations; scope roles for dedicated BI analysts; recruit, hire, & train analyst(s)
- 6-8 years of experience in a quantitative, analytically focused role in business intelligence or analytics; experience in Ecommerce and/or tech-enabled services required; experience in start-ups or growth stage businesses a plus
- BS/BA degree in data analysis, analytics, data science, economics, mathematics, finance, engineering or a related discipline strongly preferred
- Demonstrated fluency in SQL, relational databases, data modeling tools (e.g. dbt), data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake), GitHub, business intelligence tools (e.g. Periscope, Sisense, Domo, Looker, Tableau), & 3rd party data analytics providers / connectors (Google Analytics, Segment, Fivetran, Airbyte, Branch etc.)
- Familiarity with workflow / DAG scheduling & management tools such as Airflow a plus
- Familiarity with continuous integration & deployment automation servers like Jenkins a plus
- Familiarity with Python, Command Line, & statistical programming (R, SAS, Stata), regression modeling and/or predictive modeling a plus
- Advanced skills with Excel & PowerPoint
- Experience applying advanced analytical frameworks to inform business strategy & drive superior results, relevant focus areas include: pricing optimization, SKU productivity analysis, funnel analysis, cohort / retention analysis, lifetime value modeling, marketing attribution, customer segmentation etc.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to present information to executives & interact effectively across all levels of the organization
- Sound business judgment; high level of organization, strong time management & prioritization skills & ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously; track record of taking ownership in a fast-paced & unstructured environment
Benefits & Perks
- Working with smart, intellectually curious & generally awesome people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits
- Continuous learning & development with great access to executives & founders