Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Strategy Associate Director with a commitment to our mission to join our internationally diverse Strategy team. Strategy Associate Directors lead mid-to large-size projects & oversee project teams, collaborate closely with our creative & campaigning teams, serve as a primary point of contact with clients & partners, & lead business development opportunities.
The role reports to a Senior Strategy Team Member & is based in Purpose's New York headquarters. Candidates who can begin immediately are strongly encouraged to apply. This role will be remote for the next few months, until it is safe to go back to normal office operations.
This role is offered at the Associate Director tier with a salary range of $85,000 - $105,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
- Research & analysis: Provides clear direction & feedback on research priorities, hypotheses & findings to ensure it is on-brief, delivers relevant insights, & is in service of the project; & helps redirect & reprioritize where needed
- Strategy & problem solving: Provides clear direction & feedback to the team in developing impactful strategies & shapes the overarching storylines & arguments, brings issue expertise & client perspective to shape the strategys development & creation of big ideas in collaboration with campaigns & creative, & expands & builds upon Purposes core frameworks & IP & brings new approaches
- Communication: Provides clear direction & feedback on how best to communicate strategic thinking across different contexts, authoritatively presents & facilitates across all project workstreams internally & externally; & can manage diverse stakeholder input & the projects strategic perspective in real-time
- Relationship building & management: Leads mid-to large-size projects on a day-to-day basis, including setting the tone of professionalism across all client interactions & knows when to escalate, has strategic perspective on the clients organization & trends in their sector, & cultivates trusted advisor relationship with senior client contacts at large-size clients
- Business development: Proactively leads new business development opportunities including owning and/or collaborating with a BD team on proposal/pitch writing, budgeting, supporting senior team members on larger client/partner relationships, & leveraging their own network, issue, functional, & project experience for BD purposes
- Culture & conduct: Professional, constructive & collaborative across all aspects of work
- Developing & mentoring people: Shares & fosters an environment of self awareness, open & constructive feedback, & continual improvement, & oversees & supports more junior colleagues on projects
- Equity, diversity, & inclusion: Demonstrates through their behavior & decisions a commitment to equity, diversity, & inclusion, & integrates & prioritizes equity in project work, including research & strategy recommendations in deliverables & client/partner conversations
- Productivity & accountability: Set a high bar for their work product, proactively owns their workstreams & deliverables, flags challenges where required, & delivers on time & on budget.
You should have approximately 7-9 years of full-time work experience, ideally with a strategy background from an agency / consultancy (e.g. digital, creative, PR), non-profit advocacy organization, or social impact sector more broadly; a demonstrated track record and/or commitment to social sector campaigning & advocacy; & client-facing experience.
We are looking for a team player who:
- Enjoys solving complex problems in developing opportunities, ideas, & solutions
- Communicates their argument & perspective clearly & convincingly, verbally & in writing
- Thoughtfully receives, balances, & integrates feedback from multiple sources, including project leaders & cross-functional colleagues, & clients
- Brings experience in developing common agency- & consulting-style deliverables, such as synthesized issue & audience insights, strategy options & recommendations, & creative briefs
- Strategy background from an agency / consultancy (e.g. digital, creative, PR) or non-profit advocacy organization preferred, but not required
- Bilingual fluency in a foreign language is a plus. We're particularly looking for candidates with Spanish language skills.
- Values delivering for & collaborating with clients, funders, & partners
- Has high integrity, a high bar for quality & rigor, hands-on attitude, & proactivity
- Is committed to building an equitable, diverse, & inclusive workplace
- Is committed to applying & advocating for an equity lens to the work, including seeking & honoring diverse research inputs, interrogating & challenging biases & stereotypes, analyzing how power & intersectionality impacts different audience/community segments & what that means for engagement, & creating culturally relevant & respectful strategic recommendations
- Is excited about working with diverse team members.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.