Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
The product design team at RTR is user-centric, collaborative, visionary, & results-driven. We're energized by defining new behavior in the circular fashion economy & are constantly looking for new ways to delight our customers. We design for users that span long-time loyal subscribers, new prospective users who have never considered renting, & internal users from site merchandising to warehouse associates. We ensure that RTR products are usable, accessible & delightful.
About the Role:
As RTRs Director of Product Design, you will lead a team of designers across our Consumer, Operations & Merchandising domains. You will oversee & inspire the work of the designers on your team. Your influence will operate at different levels - from supporting the team with hands-on design to creating the long-term visioning for our products. You will work with cross-functional leads to set the vision & scope of projects, outlining the design activities required to deliver the best results. You will influence the product strategy & direction in major functional areas. Your team is responsible for delivering a Cinderella experience for every user. As the team lead, you will set the vision for the team & institute the mechanisms, processes & tools that will set them up for success. You will influence your partners across many teams including Product, Marketing, Creative, Revenue, Merchandising & Operations, as well as setting the product design direction for RTR as a whole.
What Youll Do:
- Lead & develop a team of product designers
- Cultivate a deep knowledge of the RTR customer, their pain points, & what makes them love their experience with RTR.
- Ensure our designer team is balanced effectively across our domains to have the maximum impact
- Build the systems, tools & processes that will enable your team to succeed in the short- & long-terms
- Partner with Product & Engineering to deliver designs that raise the bar for our customers
- Improve on internal processes & documentation, creating team best practices that drive efficiency & maximize design impact.
- Establishes processes & reusable practices for team that help improve quality & efficiency of work. Grows & scales team. Identifies opportunities for new initiatives that fit into the bigger picture for the customer, product, platform, and/or company.
- Drive execution & ensure the team delivers on their commitments.
- Build the cross-functional relationships with other orgs within RTR that will ensure your team is building alongside our other subject matter experts
- Create the internal sharing & feedback mechanisms to bring the company along with the team.
- Leader our testing strategy to bring the voice of the customer into our design processes.
- Maintain a solid pulse on market trends & conduct ongoing evaluations of relevant 3rd party offerings & new design standards, to ensure our systems & processes are best-in-class.
- Contribute to creating a learning culture & a fun, rewarding workplace where people can realize their full potential.
We are looking for a Product Design leader with experience in balancing long-term visions with near-term results, creating strong partnerships & continuously delivering value to our customer. The right candidate will have an understanding of what is technically feasible, adheres to UX best practices, & supports our business goals.
- 8+ years of product design experience, including people management
- You are a confident & influential communicator. From engineers to executives, you know how to talk & listen in remote & in-person environments. Youre skilled at bringing stakeholders along in your decision-making process & are adept at telling a story that supports your recommendations & inspires teams.
- Youre a relationship builder who engages well with stakeholders, understands their objectives & constraints & earns their trust.
- You create vision & clarity from complexity & ambiguity. You are comfortable & energized by uncharted problems.
- Youre constantly learning & seeking out feedback. You test with customers, seek out their feedback from anecdotes to large-scale surveys, & validate your assumptions. You are flexible & able to change direction as you learn.
- You're a builder. You are excited about pushing the design of our products forward that deliver significant business impact.
- You thrive in change. You are entrepreneurial in spirit with a passion for disruption.
- Youre both a high level strategic thinker & a roll-up-your-sleeves operator who does what it takes to get things done & deliver results.
- You're analytical. You turn data into actionable insights.
- You enjoy shipping products as much as creating a design culture.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - our corporate employees have the option to work remotely 2 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you & if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy & applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $168,000 - $210,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held. This position is also eligible for equity compensation.