Hachette Book Group offers paid summer internships to students & recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 3rd – August 9th & allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry & explore an area of interest.
As an HBG Audio Intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals & gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, & attend departmental meetings.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking & career development opportunities.
Who you are:
• College juniors & seniors who are candidates for a B.S. or B.A. degree
• Majors preferred: English, Creative Writing, Communications, Media, Public Relations, Marketing, or related course of study
• Effective communication skills (oral & written), sound grammar & editing ability, good judgment, & excellent interpersonal skills
• Must have a keen attention to detail in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task & prioritize
• Strong administrative, follow up, & organizational skills a must
• Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, & Outlook
What you will learn:
The Audio Intern benefits from working across the department's functions. From Publicity to Sales, our Interns learn a great deal holistically about the business of publishing in general & audiobook publishing in specific. The internship will be tailored to a certain extent to the interests & strengths of the candidate, but projects throughout the summer may touch on the following:
Operations: Digital Asset Management maintenance/reporting; Assist with licensing paperwork & transmittal of files, aid with tracking & payment of invoices.
Sales Analysis: Study trends in audio (digital & physical) & large print channels. Return sales report data as needed. Act as support for the SVP's Large Print imprint, which is also run out of the Audio department.
Marketing & Publicity Initiatives: Assist in mailings to reviewers, keeping databases & social media assets updated as needed. Intern may help create or proofread various campaigns, publicity pitches, sales materials, & account presentations as needed.
Art & Design: Check on Rights Clearance, assist in packaging trafficking; & if candidate has design experience, potential web advertising/promotions.
Audio Production: Admin responsibilities as designated (eg helping with scripts, inputting book descriptions into spreadsheets for Producers).
• Key skills required: Detail-oriented self-starter who can pick up new programs & skills quickly. Interest in audiobooks a major plus!
• MS Office-proficient a must.
• Pro Tools, InDesign & PowerPoint a plus.
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume & cover letter. Please note that you are responsible for your own housing during the duration of the internship.