Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, & what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour & many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
We are searching for a PR Specialist to amplify our mission & build brand love through creative communications initiatives & impactful storytelling. As a member of our growing communications team, you will tell the MasterClass story, generate awareness & consideration of our subscription & classes, & elevate MasterClass to a brand people know & love. You will also collaborate with instructor teams to launch new classes in the most impactful way & continue to tell stories around how the classes are impacting students lives.
Our ideal candidate has a deep background in consumer product or content PR, a passion for media relations & strong relationships across consumer press & blogs. You are an exceptional storyteller, a creative & strategic thinker, a brilliant writer with a strong grasp of voice & tone, & a strong executor with meticulous project management skills. You have a pulse on entertainment & cultural moments, as well as evergreen consumer PR opportunities & trends. Were looking for a team player who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment & has a strong belief in the power of education to transform peoples lives.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Drive class PR program to generate awareness, buzz, & consideration for MasterClass subscription & classes from initial launch to proactive post-launch momentum
- Own aggressive OKRs related to PR & comms around our classes, products & brand
- Develop & present PR plans to instructor teams for launches & ongoing milestones
- Manage gift guide & reviews programs in collaboration with our external agencies
- Develop, research & edit communications materials including PR plans, press releases, pitches, fact sheets, talking points & messaging
- Build relationships with key media including relevant consumer, entertainment, vertical & technology press
- Maintain & continue to build out press lists, & coordinate onsite & phone interviews
- Collaborate closely with internal partners across Product Marketing, Performance Marketing, Business Development, Creative, Social Media & Community to ensure an integrated approach to PR & external communications
- Measure, analyze & interpret the results of PR campaigns & programs to learn & optimize; report against objectives, in order to inform recommendations & decision-making
- Manage our PR agency partner, as well as other vendors or contractors as needed
- Assist with planning & execution for press events hosted by MasterClass or as part of larger industry events
- Managing & crafting awards entries & speaking opportunities
- 4-6 years experience in PR; agency experience preferred, talent experience a plus
- Deep expertise in consumer/product PR for consumer or content brands
- Exceptional media relations skills & media contacts across national consumer & business press
- Track record of leading creative consumer-facing PR campaigns that have made demonstrable impact on product or content awareness, traffic or sales
- Strong pulse on entertainment & cultural events, as well as evergreen consumer PR opportunities/trends
- Excellent writing skills with strong grasp of voice & tone
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively represent MasterClass comms with instructors; as well as with internal stakeholders
- Experience with media monitoring tools, analytics, & reporting
- Ability to effectively partner with & influence internal teams while managing complex cross-functional relationships in a rapidly-changing environment
- Experience managing agency teams, either at an agency or in-house
- Bachelors degree in Communications/Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or a related field
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.