About the team
The Hard Products R&D Team is at the heart of product creation for all of our global brands. Our teams are composed of engineers, materials scientists, product researchers, technicians, program managers, & more. We work cross-functionally to develop insightful, innovative products that fulfill the unmet, sometimes unspoken, needs of our customers. We are the engine behind our shaving business, developing razors, handles, & accessories; plus anything made from metal or plastic, in any product category. Innovation sits primarily at the front end of this creative process, starting with concept development & taking ideas through engineering, prototyping, & demonstration, which are then transitioned into product development.
About the role
The Senior Manager, PDE is a talented, energetic, & experienced individual who will lead an equally talented engineering team in the creation, design, & development of our Hard Products including cartridges, razor handles, accessories, & more. This individual will ensure team members are creating exceptional, technically sound products through the use of robust engineering processes while also working against proper metrics & timelines. As a technical coach & mentor, this individual will themselves have demonstrated success in bringing technically complex products to market & have strong design & engineering capabilities.
This person is a key cross-functional partner with the New Product Introduction (NPI), Industrial Design, Program Management, Quality, Marketing, & Product Research/Consumer Insights teams. As a team, interaction at Harrys centers around four company values:
- We encourage questions, sharing expertise, & constant learning to improve ourselves, our company, our industry, & our customers' experiences.
- We always expect direct, honest, & supportive communication. We tell it like it is without blame & see every interaction as an opportunity to grow together.
- Each of us is a humble, hardworking human who always gives more than whats expected because we care so deeply. We work, have fun, endure lows, & celebrate highs as a team.
- We critically question conventional wisdom in search of the best path. Harrys was founded as a better alternative. We pursue the charted & uncharted & take smart risks. Were always game for a challenge. Plus, making something better is exciting!
What you will accomplish:
- Lead the Product Design Engineering Innovation team & partner with other cross-functional leaders at Harrys to define & deliver large strategic initiatives
- Drive technically successful & timely engineering development & execution of new product initiatives
- Perform project management for your team by prioritizing tasks & ensuring deliverables are met
- Serve as key point of contact with the Program Management team to coordinate program level objectives & implement direct action plans for your team
- Be a champion of effective engineering processes as well as contributing to & improving upon them
- Drive technical & data driven decision making on PDE projects
- Participate in resource planning & help build the Innovation teams as the company grows
- Direct management of Product Design Engineers
- Travel up to 25% (once its safe to do so)
This should describe you:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or similar
- 10+ years of experience in the design, testing, & development of new products, including 2+ years in the direct line management of engineers in product development
- Experience in consumer products (e.g. CPG/FMCG, Consumer Electronics) or medical devices
- Demonstrated leadership in a high performing team environment
- Experience with building new teams & nurturing a strong, positive team dynamic
- Creative, analytical, dynamic, & operates with flexibility
- Strong background in high volume plastic part design & manufacturing mechanical assemblies, 3D CAD (SolidWorks, Creo, CATIA, etc.), engineering drawings, tolerances, & specifications.
- Skills in FMEA, DFM, GD&T, DoE, simulation/modeling (FEA) desirable.
- Experienced at managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, challenging, & always changing environment with the ability to shift priorities to meet rapidly evolving business needs. Program Management experience is highly desirable.
- Sense of humor
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Director of R&D Hard Product Innovation
- Will work cross functionally with the New Product Introduction team, Program Management, Industrial Design, Quality, Product Research/Consumer Insights, Manufacturing, Operations & Supply Chain, Legal, & Third Party Suppliers.
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.