Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, & meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, & books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly & 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, & distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, & NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times Best Places to Work, Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBCs Disruptor 50, one of Forbes Next Billion-Dollar Startups, & the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the 5000.
You are the ultimate people person & can relate to anyone that sits next to you. You enjoy a mission-driven, fast paced environment where you may be juggling multiple tasks at once but always get the job done. You are tech savvy, can identify talent & qualifying candidates who can add value to our already stellar team. You like to learn about different roles & departments within our organization so that you can relate to anyone that interviews with our company.
What Were Looking For:
We are seeking a self-motivated, system-savvy, team player with a strong base of domestic & international payroll management experience within a technology company. This position will oversee company-wide payroll processes & the development of organizational strategies for the payroll team in line with corporate objectives & best practices. This is a hands-on leadership role responsible for building scalable business processes for our payroll department & optimization of systems/processes to ensure accurate & efficient payroll processing.
This position requires a high energy individual who is driven to succeed with a proven ability to develop people. You will proactively streamline & improve processes, & collaborate effectively with business partners throughout the organization. The ideal candidate will have prior work experience in a high-volume payroll capacity with management responsibility, preferably in both public & private companies. This role reports directly to the Controller & will oversee 1-2 direct reports.
What You Will Do:
- Actively supervise direct reports & mentor team in achieving goals & resolving issues
- Ensure payroll is processed & paid timely in accordance with all federal, state, or other jurisdiction & labor laws, as applicable
- Promote the company culture by encouraging open communication & teamwork
- Effectively review, manage, & execute all aspects of 401(k), payroll equity, payroll accounting, & multi-state & international payroll processings, ensuring accuracy, compliance & outstanding service goals are consistently met
- Critically review & analyze current payroll processes & procedures in order to recommend & implement changes leading to best practices, including standardizing processes & key controls across all payroll categories
- Make recommendations for system enhancements to drive improved accuracy & efficiency
- Proactively participate with internal partners (i.e. HR, Legal, Finance, Accounting) to review cross-departmental impacts & work with external partners (i.e. auditors & vendors) for the purpose of compliance, internal control, & audits
- Proactively partner with Accounting, Operations, Legal, & HR in (1) understanding issues when the company begins work in new geographical areas, (2) issues related to per diems, relocation expenses, recruitment, & other traveling & relocation benefits, & (3) changes to existing law
- Knowledge of ADP Workforce Now & other payroll systems to support ongoing integration projects of ERP & HRIS
- Oversee the preparation & review of a variety of payroll related documents, entries, & reconciliations (i.e. payroll journal entries, quarterly filings, prior year amendments, etc)
- Experienced working in a cross departmental team environment & providing project management/leadership for various projects & initiatives
- Effective oral & written communication skills with ability to clearly & articulately explain issues & opportunities to individuals at all levels within the organization
- 15+ years of leading global payroll teams
- Must have experience leading payroll for a publicly-traded company
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation preferred
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Accounting or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience with multi-state & international payroll processes
- Strong understanding of qualified retirement plans including union, 401(k) & equity plans
- Strong understanding of per diem, travel, & moving expenses & other benefits associated with a growing entity & changing footprint
- Expertise in payroll best practices & ability to explain fundamentals to individuals at all levels within the organization
- Demonstrated process improvement experience
- Experience working in a close team environment & providing project management/leadership for various projects & initiatives
- Experience processing salaried, hourly, etc. payrolls
- Expertise on tax implications on payroll as well as garnishments, payroll rules & regulations & legal compliance practices
- Strong work ethic with ability to work in a collaborative manner
- Ability to show strong initiative while working independently & as part of a team
- Willingness to roll up the sleeves as needed
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
Skillz embraces diversity & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, & we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.