About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, & more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom & legal support they need to expose corruption & injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for an energetic investigative reporter with a track record of breaking stories with significant impact in the areas of national security & technology. The reporter will cover surveillance, whether by the government or private corporations; cyberwarfare; covert actions by governments & private security companies; disinformation campaigns; and/or other aspects of national security, technology & foreign policy of interest to The Intercepts audience. Candidates who have distinguished themselves with groundbreaking reporting in any one of these areas will be considered. Excellent sourcing in the intelligence community, among defense contractors, and/or in the world of big tech & big data is required. This position emphasizes enterprise reporting but the reporter should also be willing & able to produce incisive, fast-turn stories off the news. Experience with filing FOIA & other public records requests is highly desirable.
- At least 10 years experience as a reporter/writer
- Proven track record of breaking significant news stories in national security. Experience in technology reporting is a plus.
- Ability to file clean, accurate copy on complex, sometimes high-risk stories
- Extensive knowledge, sources, & subject matter expertise as well as an independent perspective
- Sharp instincts about what makes a good story for The Intercept
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities & demands, based on organizational needs & the news cycle
- Must be a generous & fully engaged member of our national security & technology teams & equally adept at working independently
- Ability to generate powerful, original stories while executing assigned pieces with speed & grace
- Commitment to the Intercepts unique mission
With your application, please include or link to up to 5 clips that illustrate your writing, reporting, and/or technological abilities. This position is based in either Washington, D.C. or New York City.
This position is recognized as part of the Writers Guild of America, East, Union."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.