Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you & your peers would love.
As an Engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will orchestrate tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO & in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency & also provide important new features for our customers. If you're passionate about Virtualization, Linux, & Distributed Systems, this is the right job for you.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing & building the services that provide the building blocks for Droplets, Load Balancers, Kubernetes, DBaaS, & future DigitalOcean functionality.
- Designing next generation hypervisor management & virtual machine placement scheduling services.
- Designing, implementing, optimizing, & testing virtualization configurations using anything from scalable containerized applications to low level services running on every hypervisor.
- Designing, implementing, testing & optimizing new services that run at scale & solve challenging distributed coordination problems.
- Working with our product teams to build the next generation of products & services for our developers community.
- Driving architecture for complex products by determining current limitations & coming up with scalable solutions.
What We'll Expect From You:
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- The ability to define & drive a technical vision within teams, across teams, & across departments.
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Python, C/C++, Java, Perl.
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming and/or virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces & Containers)
- Record of creating improvements in stability, performance & scalability across major business-critical systems
- Familiarity with Chef, Ansible, and/or Puppet
- A commitment to monitoring & observability
- Operational familiarity with Linux servers
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!