Think insurance is boring? We did too. So we built a company that takes everything you think you know about buying insurance & turns it on its head. At Cover, were disrupting an industry. Its something were proud of & it inspires us to come into work every day. Everyone here is passionate about what were doing, using cutting-edge tools to build leading-edge tech.
We are a Silicon Valley startup operating in Toronto & we are scaling. Right now, were looking for smart, collaborative, innovators to be part of our dynamic environment. A place that celebrates successes, welcomes debate & nurtures a positive, learning atmosphere. Every Friday, we hear from the leadership, sync up our San Francisco & Toronto offices, show off what weve built & have fun. Were not saving the world but we are saving people money & ensuring they get a fair deal in a way that exemplifies what smartphones were built to do. Bring us your ideas & your energy; show up ready to have a creative conversation. We will help you achieve your best potential.
Five fast facts
- We read. As part of our Technical Book Club, we just finished reading Building Microservices & Eloquent Ruby.
- We learn. As part of our continuous commitment to learning every employee has access to an annual learning stipend.
- We have challenging engineering work. Weve built an insurance rating engine from scratch.
- We meet. Our co-founder has weekly open office hours & sets up one-on-one individual meetings, as well as technical workshops to ensure everyone is up to speed & continuously learning.
- We have a lot of fun. We have ping pong tournaments at Spin; axe throwing competitions; escape room adventures & kickoff long weekends with cocktails created by the founders.
- We have unbeatable benefits. Gym memberships; daily lunch stipend & an enviable vacation policy.
Who we need
A transformer, a relationship-builder, a pitch-in wherever Im needed team player. Someone who wants to be a leader & a doer. Whether you have a few years of experience working in start-ups or insurance or youve founded a company or two yourself; this is an opportunity for a Senior Full Stack Developer who wants to help our team architect, build, scale & automate across our product pipeline from user experience to insurance data reconciliation & reporting.
We need a Senior Full Stack Developer to work on the Policy Administration team. Someone who wants to design, drive & implement solutions. From translating business specs to technical requirements; from testing & fixing code, this is a build-it-new challenge for a Developer looking to be part of a growing, exciting company.
If youre the kind of person who creates the solutions you want to see; who builds the applications you want to use & who provides the experience you want to have, then we want to talk to you.
Whats in it for you? This is a new way of working in insurance technology. No legacy systems. No tech debt. Just, how you will line up with our values:
Innovation. This is an opportunity to build from scratch; to innovate solutions in an environment where you have the freedom to introduce the technology & tools you know to be the best.
Efficiency. We arent bogged down in layers of hierarchy & process. What does exist is there to help everyone do their best work & have fun doing it. You will learn from & report directly to one of our founders. You will be part of a team focused on shipping thoroughly tested, quality code. You will be supported by your peers who will also seek your advice & opinion.
Trust. We are building an insurance company from the ground up & we need intelligent individuals we can trust to help guide the work; people who want to be part of our growth. As we expand our presence across the US; we need to create customized solutions that adhere to regulations & governance. This creates on-the-job learning for our teams to expand their knowledge, gain new skills & stay motivated. As an early joiner, you will see the chance to move up to a lead or architect role rapidly become a reality.
As our new Senior Full Stack Developer, you have:
- The experience. You have 1+ years hands-on experience with:
- A front-end framework like React, Angular, JQuery,etc. (or combinations)
- A back-end framework like Nodejs, Ruby on rails, Go, etc. (or combinations)
- Relational databases (PostgreSQL).
- Building & scaling user-focused mobile applications.
- The passion. You want to make a difference & see the impact of what you do working on mission critical systems.
- The collaborative approach. You know how to write clean, easy-to-understand code. You strive for perfection & have a history of shipping well-tested code quickly.
- The leadership potential. You have an interest in mentoring junior engineers.
- The communication skills. You have outstanding oral & written skills. You can translate business to technical & vice versa easily. You are comfortable working with stakeholders at any level.
Why join us
Cover is not just another app. We are both a brokerage & an insurance provider. More importantly, we prioritize the end user experience with fast, easy-to-use technology & equally fast & responsive customer service.
In a world of instability & startups popping up; you can come to Cover & feel confident in your choice. We were created by Founders who have already built successful businesses & we are partnered with OneEleven, a global scale-up hub focused on helping the most promising, high-growth tech startups build their businesses & scale their operations. Having recently secured $20 million CAD in funding led by Tribe Capital, we are well positioned to add to our teams & expand our product offerings.
This is a place where Developers are front & centre; a strategic part of our success. Were aiming for 50/50 gender diversity (and hey, if you dont fit into either side of that ratio, thats okay too) & global representation that makes our potlucks an international feast, were a company that cares about how smart you are & who you are, not the boxes you do or dont check on a form. To that end, if you feel like you have something to contribute but dont quite meet all of the requirements we are looking for, submit your application anyway, we promise to take a look.
If Cover sounds like the type of company you want to be part of, express your interest here or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Medium to learn more about us. Don't miss Pablo's Christmas Coding Story, the story of our developer-turned-Engineering Manager who taught himself Ruby over the holidays. Our CTO was recently a guest on the Ruby 5by5 podcast talking about scaling with ruby.
Cover welcomes & encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.