Hi, we're Oscar. Were a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
Were hiring a Manager of People Strategy to join the People team in our New York City office. You will report to the Director of People Strategy for Corporate & Advisory.
About this role:
The People Strategy team ensures managers across the company are coached & held accountable to their strategic, operational, & people management responsibilities. The team also provides leaders with human capital expertise & partnership.
In this role, you will help leaders across corporate & advisory functions align their strategic outcomes to broader company objectives, ensure they have quality roadmaps to achieve those outcomes, & ultimately ensure that they are delivering measurable business impact. Youll work with leaders on the organizational design of their function -- offering your expertise & guiding principles on sound workforce designs. Youll also get to know the functions operations so you can assess their effectiveness & ROI, as well as provide feedback & insight on the function (and the leaders) performance. Very importantly, youll partner with them to ensure they are coached, supported, & able to work through human capital processes such as performance management, employee relations, talent acquisition, compensation, training & development, diversity, benefits, etc.
Ultimately, this job is about problem solving: helping managers fix the issues in front of them, helping them spot problems they dont see, & guiding them to plan a clear road for the future.
- Regularly meet with business leaders across the Corporate & Advisory functions. The majority of your time will be one-on-one meetings with business managers.
- Push business managers to succeed by holding them accountable to good outcomes/ deliverables, as well as quality engagement in their work.
- Learn as much as you can about the organizations you support so you can act as a consultative thought partner & help them spot business issues & opportunities.
- Leverage your experience to add expertise & insight to the Corporate & Advisory People Strategy group, & the broader People team.
- Serve as a liaison & facilitator between the business functions you support & the various People team functions (e.g., Talent Acquisition, HR, Benefits).
- Engage with your fellow People Strategy managers on evolving metrics, systemization, & standardization of people analytics, dashboards, & reports.
- Ensure your business units remain compliant with federal, state, & local employment laws & regulations.
- Provide various People functions with expertise on the Corporate & Advisory business function expertise, as needed.
- Work with leaders to manage/resolve employee relations & performance issues.
- Guide leaders through talent/performance management, succession planning, performance improvement, workforce planning, & more.
- Repeatedly & consistently - through every thing you do - demonstrate the value & ROI of the People Strategy function.
What you should know:
- Be an expert on something & bring that to the table: health care, insurance, budgeting, employment law, HR policy, learning & development, operations, data analysis, etc.
- Have advanced level knowledge of principles, frameworks, & industry practices related to leadership & management, team performance, talent management, professional development, organizational design, workforce planning.
- Have intermediate-to-advanced level knowledge of common HR policies, fair labor laws, employee relations protocol, total rewards programs, compensation structures, etc.
What you should be able to do:
- Think strategically (i.e., broad, long-term views) & be able to dive through operational processes (i.e., how things should work) into tactical steps (i.e., who does what).
- Understand the level at which a problem or conversation is happening (e.g., strategic, operational, tactical) & engage at the appropriate level.
- Have command of common productivity software (e.g., excel) so you can self-serve on analytics, reporting, project & case management, etc.
- Design, improve, & standardize processes related to manager accountability & people management.
- Build strong partnerships & professional relationships.
What you should be like:
- A problem solver, not just a problem finder.
- Self-sufficient, self-managing, & self-motivated.
- Strongly opinionated & aggressively open to changing them.
- Hungry for feedback, & unafraid to provide it.
- Driven to deliver quality work with a scrappy, get-it-done approach.
- Bachelors degree
- 5 years work experience in an HR/people operations field or consulting
- Sound judgement with highly confidential information
- Experience at a rapidly scaling, start-up, technology, or insurance company
- Experience as a manager or HR Business Partner/Manager
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.