Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where & Why
Twilio is a rapidly growing technology company in the communications space with an expanding global footprint. As we expand our global reach, our government data access strategy & operations are also becoming more complex. We are seeking a dedicated attorney to be our in-house subject matter expert in relation to government access to data & law enforcement response obligations. You will oversee our global internal policy & strategy in relation to government access to data while advising on the day-to-day operations of our law enforcement response team & providing legal guidance to our consumer trust & platform integrity teams.
Twilio is looking for an attorney, licensed to practice law & in good standing with their local bar, to join our legal team as Senior Counsel, Law Enforcement & National Security, to advise on & oversee our government data access policies. You are fit for this role if you have both an understanding of key legal frameworks for government access to digital data, particularly in the communications space, & can also advise the business on the practical implications of these frameworks on product & infrastructure as we expand. This role will report to the Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Privacy & Product, & will be expected to understand the importance of data privacy concerns & safeguarding the trust of our customers when advising on the companys response to government access requests. You must be able to oversee the team handling the day-to-day work of responding to law enforcement, but also work cross-functionally with the privacy team, communications regulatory team, public policy team, as well as with the cybersecurity, platform integrity, consumer trust team, & product teams to ensure the companys internal government data access policies & processes are consistent with our legal obligations & our company values, & that these policies & processes are operationalized appropriately throughout the organization.
- 9+ years of legal experience, with at least 3 years experience counseling a global technology company in relation to government requests for data. Management experience & in-house experience is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with CALEA, the CLOUD Act, & FISA, is required as is experience handling non-US law enforcement or government access requests. Experience advising companies in the telecommunications sector is strongly preferred.
- The ability to work independently to partner with teams across different parts of the organization to ensure government access policies & processes are consistent with global legal obligations, customer expectations, & company values.
- The ability to work collaboratively with the business & technical teams to define government access policies & ensure they are implemented properly, & operationally supported.
- The ability to communicate professionally & effectively with law enforcement authorities as well as customers & other communications ecosystem participants.
As Senior Counsel, Law Enforcement & National Security, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & DRAW THE OWL: Oversee our internal government data access policy & processes that ensure compliance with our legal obligations in relation to responding to government requests for data, while bearing in mind the need to maintain both the trust of the communications ecosystem participants & our customers.
- WRITE IT DOWN. Expand & iterate on our internal government data response policies & processes to improve them over time.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Guide the law enforcement response team, consumer trust & platform integrity teams in building operational runbooks that help them make self-sufficient & allow them to scale.
- BE BOLD: Serve as an internal subject matter expert on global obligations in relating to government access to data & law enforcement response requirements.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. As our CEO Jeff Lawson has said, Trust is the number one thing we sell in the cloud. And, upholding high standards of data privacy is part of building & keeping the trust of our customers & employees. This is even more so as data privacy continues to grow as a high profile concern worldwide. That is why were looking for a self-directed team player who will help build out, scale, & maintain our privacy governance program to help Twilio meet & exceed our global data privacy obligations & commitments.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we are dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in tackling hard problems & encourage creating your own solutions to problems. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located anywhere you are. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.