Refinery29 is the leading digital media & entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, & claim their power by providing optimistic & diverse creativity, storytelling, & points of view. We deliver style & substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices & destinations, from the original video & editorial features, to live experiences & social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information & to browse content.
About the role:
The SVP of Experiential will be responsible for leading the expansion of our experiential business by defining a vision, evolving ways of working, team culture & cost model to drive scale, innovation, & award-winning creative experiences. The focus will be on expanding our 29Rooms experience as well as overseeing ideation thru execution on all co-branded events. The SVP of Experiential reports to the Chief Content Officer & partners closely with the Executive Creative Director to ensure that all experiential experiences are thoughtfully conceptualized & executed.
What Makes an R29er?
You have commitment & passion for the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, & claim their power & realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility & turns dreams into reality. You are a collaborative, solutions-oriented thinker who understands & appreciates a safe space where conflicting points of view are debated openly & constructively.
What you'll do:
Strategy, Growth, & Leadership
- Identify & implement strategic vision to scale experiential business & develop new experiential revenue & partner opportunities
- Collaborate with revenue, creative & press executives to ensure priorities are aligned & goals are met
- Ensure we create events that align with our brand & mission, driving true value across a range of metrics (i.e press, social reach, consumer engagement, revenue, client buzz)
- Ensure that all events have clear goals & vision to fuel creative direction & flawless execution
- Enhance & develop client relationships & generate new, productive leads
- Be a visionary leader with the ability to build & empower top performing talent & teams
- Guide department growth by streamlining & developing new procedures/best practices to improve efficiency & creative process
- Lead & motivate the department including fostering cohesion as well as individual development with an emphasis on strong communication & transparency
Production & Process
- Fiscally responsible with success overseeing large budgets & costs in detail, managing profitability & margins
- Adept at managing large-scale productions ($5M+)
- Ensure team members track budgets, remain on budget & communicate risks in real time
- Help reinvent the process in which we concept, develop, pitch & package event offerings more
- Drive a collaborative system & way of working between creative, strategy & production both within the team & across departments
- Vast knowledge of event management & production needs; Able to both negotiate with & manage vendor partners
- Create a robust list of strategic vendors & partners to drive cost efficiencies & deepen partnerships
- Play exec sponsor role on tentpole projects, providing leadership & support to produce the most successful events that meet goals & expectations
- Ensure a strong organizational structure, & implement processes & systems to increase productivity.
- Oversee the Creative Leadership team that develops a long-term vision for the brand across varying mediums, leading major marketing initiatives, focusing on the core business issues, defining challenges & goals, & setting strategic direction to accomplish immediate & long-range objectives
- Develop trusted, relied-upon relationships with creative leadership team & partner with them in the creative development process.
- Responsible for the experiential team in regards to creative execution, ideation, & hitting revenue goals for experiential as well as ensuring we stay on budget, margin, & are retaining clients. Responsible for growing our experiential business
What you have:
- 10+ years of relevant experience, agency experience preferred
- Proven track record of delivering measurable success for an events business, inclusive of managing budgets (+$5M) & profitability, revenue growth & winning creative
- Must have a range of existing production vendor relationships & have a finger on the pulse of relevant industry talent
- The ability to be an example of positive change: experimenting to improve on ideas, concepts, & processes to make creative work stronger.
- Ability to craft an opportunity to its highest potential, regardless of budget, with a dedication to excellence.
- Strong management experience overseeing team ranging in skill-set & career level
- Hiring, management, & mentorship experience. You can develop & nurture a team.
- Experience collaborating & managing up & down in an organization, developing strong relationships.
To be successful here you are:
- Passionate about our mission.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to execute on the big picture
- A skilled people leader, passionate about growing & nurturing talent
- A leader who appreciates the power of diversity & practices empathy & respect for others
- Agile, comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- A problem-solver who sets an example of positive change
- Inspired to push boundaries & take work to its highest potential
- Able to collaborate across different departments & workflows, building relationships
- Someone who inspires, educates, & empowers others to feel see & claim their power