Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Verification & Validation Test Team is responsible for creating & maintaining the tests & infrastructure for our new satellite development programs. Test Engineers on our team tackle projects to design & build integrated software & hardware platforms that allow us to validate our spacecraft performance & verify our requirements. As a member of the Verification & Validation Test Team, you will collaborate with design & software engineers to develop everything from board-level tests to fully integrated HIL setups that enable the demonstration of spacecraft performance & operation.
As a Systems Test Engineer you will own the build, integration, & testing of fully integrated satellite HIL (Hardware-in-the-Loop) platforms that will enable the demonstration of satellite functions on-orbit. You will be responsible for everything from test planning, execution, integration, debugging, & everything in-between to enable end-to-end testing of our ground & space systems. This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch design, qualification, & manufacturing teams.
Impact Youll Own:
- Coordinate cross-functionally across all teams & disciplines to capture test goals & objectives for each development kit & HIL setup
- Write test plans & reports for the testbeds & manage tracking of requirements met through test & demonstrated performance capabilities
- Work with test engineers & designers to come up with ways to connect, package, & mount various test setups
- Write documentation & assist in fabricating test or flight-like harnessing to allow for the integration of HIL testbeds
- Execute tests that help develop prototype hardware for flight & troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Write test scripts & programs for executing tests on individual boards as you build out & integrate the HIL setup for the avionics, payload, & power systems
- Assist with test development by helping write test scripts, procedures, work instructions, or anything else necessary to execute the various levels of testing
- Design & execute tests for design verification testing including environmental tests
What You Bring:
- Bachelors Degree in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical or similar engineering discipline
- 5-7+ years of integrated systems testing experience including complex system level HIL setups
- Hands-on experience integrating hardware, loading software, & interfacing with integrated testbeds
- Mechanical design & CAD experience with Solidworks, CATIA, or similar
- Experience & knowledge of data-acquisition systems, sensors, & other test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc.
- Comfortable reading schematics & design documentation to understand how each piece integrates & fits together
- Programming experience, with willingness to code in Python
- Strong Linux fundamentals
- Familiarity with environmental testing such as thermal, vibration, shock, etc.
- Experience with DVCS such as git or mercurial
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience working in ambiguity on prototype hardware & figuring out how to make things work for the first time
- A blend of mechanical, electrical, & software experience that allow you to drive meaningful conversations & implement solutions across all design groups
- Strong problem solving skills & ability to investigate & diagnose issue during HIL testbed integration & test
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.