At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind & founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users & more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students & teachers across the world. If you haven't heard of TpT yet & want to learn more, just ask any teacher!
Who we are looking for:
Were a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers & learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. Its the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, & focused effort. We want every day to be fun & to matter.
As the Director of Communications, you will oversee TpTs communications function & build the reputation of TpT, our products, & our unmatched community of educators. Youll play a leadership role in developing our Communications strategy, managing media relations, thought leadership, & storytelling that position TpT at the forefront of trends in education. The ideal candidate is a strategic storyteller & an exceptional writer; skilled at managing external communications agencies & internal teams; comfortable interacting with a wide range of stakeholders, from educators to reporters to executives; experienced managing cross-functional projects to meet deadlines; skilled at pitching press; & excels in mentoring others.
You will report to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications & manage our Communications team, including two social media managers & a communications manager.
- Create & lead TpTs communications strategy to establish the company & its content creators as innovators & influencers in the education industry
- Lead all external communications, executive communications, & corporate media relations including issues & crisis response
- Create & pitch compelling narratives, uncovering differentiated media angles that will have a direct impact on TpT business objectives
- Create & execute a communications calendar that aligns launches, initiatives, & corporate milestones with PR opportunities
- Develop & train spokespeople, & manage press opportunities & speaking engagements for executives
- Build relationships with external advocates, including TpT Teacher Authors
- Serve as a company spokesperson as needed
- Manage thought leadership strategy, including monitoring high visibility & business-building awards programs & managing company entries
- Serve as a strategic partner to senior leadership on internal communications to support employee engagement & retention
- Bachelors degree in communications, journalism or related field is preferred
- 8-10 years experience in-house or at an agency (a combination of both is preferred)
- Proven experience & leadership in running comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, & outreach programs to advance a companys mission
- Crisis communications experience required
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Exceptional written & oral communication & interpersonal skills
- A knack for storytelling & creating compelling narratives
- Executive presence; comfortable providing incisive, strategic counsel to senior executives & business heads
- Possesses a level of passion & creativity that inspires people
- Appreciates feedback & values honest, thoughtful critique
- Is a data-driven, results-oriented team player
- Experience working in technology & education
- Comfortable with taking risk
- Parental leave for both mothers & fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mothers Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion & encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized & celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if youre a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection & use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.