We started Birchbox in 2010 to redefine the way consumers discover & shop for beauty & grooming. The company quickly grew from an exciting idea to a business that has materially shaped the beauty industry: we've activated an enormous group of underserved, untapped consumers, awakening their relationship with beauty by making the experience relevant, easy & fun. Our innovation isn't the simple concept of delivering a box of samples - it's understanding that although not everyone is passionate about beauty & grooming, everyone still deserves to have a great experience finding, trying & buying it.
Birchbox operates in six countries, reaching more than 2.5 million active customers with a portfolio of 500 best-in-class prestige brand partners. We have retail locations within select Walgreens stores across the US as well as a flagship Birchbox store in Paris.
About the role:
Birchbox is seeking a passionate, creative, & thoughtful Design Lead to join our Creative Team. We are changing the way people discover new products & we want someone who is excited about our mission & the critical role design plays to support & bolster it.
In partnership with the Creative Director, this role helps drive the creative approach to our physical packaging, digital marketing, & environmental design (retail). This person will also have a heavy hand in the constant refinement & evolution of our overall brand identity. We are looking for someone comfortable thinking in both 2D & 3D, & who is excited to contribute hands-on design while also leading & directing a small team of designers.
The ideal candidate has a design personality that matches the Birchbox aestheticfresh & contemporary with personality. Youre skilled at developing big picture concepts & bringing those ideas to life while also considering every tiny detail through to execution. Youre able to understand & apply direction from executive leadership & are constantly critiquing & analyzing every brand experience.
- Concept, design, & oversee the development & production of all print & packaging creative efforts
- Concept, design, & oversee the development & execution of all digital marketing outputs (emails, landing pages, etc)
- Partner with the Creative Director & VP, Experience to develop a holistic approach to design across the company as well as key strategies for high-priority business initiatives
- Partner with the Director of Production & Product Design Lead to ensure consistency across all visual touchpoints of the brand
- Work closely with Marketing, Merchandising, & Operations teams to develop & design assets & product launches from concept to presentation to final execution
- Partner with the Director of Retail & Retail brand partners to design & guide the look & feel of physical retail spaces including print materials, environmental signage, & other visual touchpoints
- Continually manage vendor relationships to develop exciting new forms & oversee high quality standards & timely production of products
- Facilitate team communication between merchants, project managers, designers, & copywriters for all projects
- Provide thoughtful & constructive feedback to a team of designers on day to day design projects
- Work closely with Creative Director to evolve & shape brand style guides
- 5+ years of design experience, in either agency or in-house settings
- Experience managing & mentoring junior designers & direct reports
- Expert in InDesign, Illustrator, & Photoshop (a functional knowledge of sketch is a plus)
- A strong portfolio that includes a range of work across mediums & forms
- Excellent typography skills
- Experience concepting & art directing photography
- Illustration/painting/hand lettering skills are a plus
- The ability to seamlessly balance long term projects while executing & managing daily design needs
- Knowledge of latest print + packaging trends as well as a strong understanding of print processes & proper file setup are a plus
- Strong communication & presentation skills
- An innovative spirit & excitement about evolving the Birchbox brand