Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
Foursquares flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact & drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest & real-world behavior patterns (Places & Visits), & tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification & visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Places Core Team
The Places Core Team is responsible for building & curating Foursquare's Places Database. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. The database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world with over a thousand different types of places such as restaurants, stores, parks, hotels, & colleges. In addition to powering our branded products, Places powers customer applications ranging from maps, navigation, analytics & everything in between for tens of thousands of developers, including Apple, Microsoft, Uber & many more.
About the role
As a Software Engineer on the Places team, you'll work on the pipelines, tools, & automation systems that power the Places database. We use popular open-source technologies alongside a custom in-house storage & curation platform to cluster, clean, & synthesize data at scale. Our day to day work often involves complex distributed systems problems but we also handle our share of small data solutions & optimizing QA workflows.
Ideal candidates will be excited about implementing robust, data-oriented software systems in production but will also be capable at the messier aspects of digging into data quality problems & turning analysis into clearly communicated summaries & recommendations. In this role your contributions will impact our largest engineering team & one of the company's primary products.
Responsibilities of the role
- Develop & maintain Spark & Hadoop MapReduce workflows
- Build internal tools for data ingestion & investigation
- Implement software quality practices like automated testing, continuous delivery, monitoring & observability to help make our data systems more reliable & robust
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- Comfortable in a small & fast-paced startup environment
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kubernetes, Docker
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Perks & benefits
- Learning & development programs from individual contributors to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.